Distribution of the pulmonary artery and vein in the lung of the white handed gibbon
- 25 Downloads
The lungs of four white handed gibbons (Hylobates agilis) were examined. The right pulmonary artery runs across the ventral side of the right upper lobe bronchiole, and then traverses the dorsal side of the right middle lobe bronchiole. Thereafter, it runs along the dorso-lateral side of the right bronchus, between the dorsal bronchiole system and the lateral bronchiole system, and gradually follows the dorsal side of the right bronchus. During its course, it gives off arterial branches which run along each bronchiole. The left pulmonary artery runs across the dorsal side of the left middle lobe bronchiole and then along the left bronchus as in the right lung. The branches of the pulmonary artery run mainly along the dorsal or lateral side of the bronchiole, while the pulmonary veins run mainly the medial side of the bronchioles or between them. However, in a few portions, the pulmonary veins run the lateral side of the bronchioles. Finally, they enter the left atrium with four large veins i.e. the common trunk of the right upper lobe vein and right middle lobe vein, right lower lobe pulmonary venous trunk, left middle lobe vein, and left lower lobe pulmonary venous trunk.
Key WordsPulmonary artery Pulmonary vein White handed gibbon Lung
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Nakakuki, S., 1975. The new interpretation of the bronchial tree.Proc. Japan Acad., 51: 342–346.Google Scholar
- ————, 1980. Comparative anatomical studies on the mammalian lung.Bull. Fac. Agr., Tokyo Univ. Agr. Tech., 21: 1–74.Google Scholar
- ————, 1991. The bronchial tree and lobular division of the gorilla lung.Primates, 32: 403–408.Google Scholar
- ————, 1992. The distribution of the pulmonary artery and vein of the chimpanzee lung.Primates. 34: 111–116.Google Scholar
- ————, &A. Ehara, 1991a. On the bronchial tree and lobular division of the organutan lung. In:Primatology Today.A. Ehara, T. Kimura, O. Takenaka, &M. Iwamoto (eds.), Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp. 577–580.Google Scholar
- ———— & ————, 1991b. Distribution of the pulmonary artery and vein of the organutan lung.Primates, 32: 397–401.Google Scholar