Effects of metachlopromide-induced hyperprolactinemia on serum testosterone and its response to hCG in adult male common marmosets (Callithrix jacchus)
- 35 Downloads
Intramuscular administration of metachlopromide (2.5, 10, and 25 mg) induced increase in serum prolactin levels. Following 10 and 25 mg dose levels, prolactin levels were elevated at least for 8 hr. Single administration of metachlopromide failed to affect the nocturnal rise in circulating levels of testosterone. Daily treatment of metachlopromide (10 mg) for 30 days suppressed the nocturnal elevation of testosterone on day 28 of treatment. However, the hCG-stimulated testosterone production on day 30 was unaffected. The results of the present study demonstrate that metachlopromide-induced hyperprolactinemia in adult male common marmosets affects the hypothalamo-pituitary axis without any effect on testicular response to hCG.
Key WordsMarmoset Hyperprolactinemia Metachlopromide Hypothalamo-pituitary-testicular axis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- ————,B. B. Svare, P. C. Doherty, M. S. Smith, &H. G. Klemcke, 1983. Effects of hyperprolactinemia on male reproductive functions. In:Male Reproduction and Fertility,A. Negro Villar (ed.), Raven Press, New York, pp. 1–11.Google Scholar
- Horrobin, D., 1973. Physiology and clinical significance. In:Prolactin,D. T. Harrobin (ed.), Medical and Technical Publ., Lancaster, pp. 45–47.Google Scholar
- Kholkute, S. D., 1984a. Plasma estradiol and progesterone levels during post partum ovulation and early pregnancy in the common marmosetsCallithrix jacchus.Primates, 25: 538–543.Google Scholar
- ————,R. Joseph, U. M. Joshi, &S. R. Munshi, 1981. Diurnal variation of serum testosterone levels in the male bonnet monkey (Macaca radiata).Primates, 22: 427–430.Google Scholar
- Martikainen, H. &R. Vihko, 1982. hCG-stimulation of testicular steroidogenesis during induced hyper- and hypoprolactinemia in man.Clin. Endocrinol., 16: 227–234.Google Scholar
- Nagulesparen, M., V. Ang, &J. S. Jenkins, 1978. Bromocriptine treatment of males with pituitary tumours, hyperprolactinemia and hypogonadism.Clin. Endocrinol., 9: 73–79.Google Scholar
- Sufi, S., A. Donaldson, & S. L. Jeffcoate, 1988.WHO Method Manual in Programme for the Matched Assay Reagents for the Radioimmunoassay of the Hormones in Reproductive Physiology. Geneva, Switzerland.Google Scholar
- Thorner, M. &G. M. Besser, 1977. Hyperprolactinemia and gonadal function: Results of bromocriptine treatment. In:Prolactin and Human Reproduction.P. G. Crosignani &C. Robyn (eds.), Academic Press, London, pp. 285–301.Google Scholar