Localization of alkaline phosphatase in developing bovine dental pulp
- 23 Downloads
The distribution of alkaline phosphatase in dentinogenically active bovine dental pulp tissues was investigated histochemically and biochemically. Histochemical observation showed a high enzyme activity in the subodontoblastic layer, especially in coronal pulp and also in the core of radicular pulp. Biochemical results were well consistent with histochemical findings. Alkaline phosphatase activity in the coronal pulp was twice that in radicular pulp. Most of the enzyme activity in coronal pulp was in the subodontoblastic layer (91%), whereas the activity in the radicular pulp was evenly distributed. Since undifferentiated mesenchymal cells were observed in the areas showing relatively high ALPase activity, it seemed that there were some relations between the inducion of ALPase and the undifferentiated mesenchymal cells.
Key wordsdental pulp alkaline phosphatase dentinogenesis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1).Tojyo, Y.: A comparison of the alkaline phosphatases of rat dental pulp, bone, kidney, liver and intestine. Archs oral Biol. 28: 103–107, 1983.Google Scholar
- 8).Oida, S., Yamashita, Y., & Sasaki, S.: The harvest of homogeneous bovine odontoblasts and their alkaline phosphatase activity. Jpn. J. Oral. Biol. 24: 811–819, 1982.Google Scholar
- 12).Nagata, T., Ishida, H., Kido, J., Hamasaki, A., & Wakano, Y.: Effects of insulin and parathyroid hormone on glycosaminoglycan synthesis of developing bovine dental pulp in culture. JBMM 4: 192–198, 1987.Google Scholar
- 16).Bessy, O.A., Lowry, O.H., & Brock, M.J.: A method for the rapid determination of alkaline phosphatase with five cubic millimeters of serum. J. Biol. Chem. 164: 321–329, 1946.Google Scholar
- 17).Smulson, M.H., Maggio, J.D., & Hagen J.C.: Diseases of the pulp and periapex. In: Endodontic therapy (Weine F.S. ed.), 3rd edition, Mosby, St. Luois, pp66–170, 1982.Google Scholar
- 19).Yoshiki, S. & Kurahashi, Y.: A light and electron microscopic study of alkaline phosphatase activity in the early stage of dentinogenesis in the young rat. Archs oral Biol. 16: 1143–1154, 1971.Google Scholar
- 20).Seltzer, S. & Bender, I.B.: The pulp as connective tissue. In: The dental pulp, 2nd edition, Lippincott, Philadelphia, pp76–97, 1975.Google Scholar