Wheat and soil bromide dynamics after fumigation with methyl bromide in a mediterranean climate
Soil and wheat bromide dynamics are studied in methyl bromide-fumigated plots in a Mediterranean climate.
Bromide residues range between 5 to 10 ppm in the fumigated soil and they are distributed to a depth of 50–60 cm, where a compacted layer exists, in accordance with soil organic matter and moisture distribution. The total amount of bromide in soil is 5.8 gm−2 up to a depth of 1 m and it remains almost constant during the wheat growth period.
The plant bromide concentration decreases throughout the development of spring wheat. The bromide distribution in the different plant organs was identical in the two years studied and it is correlated with the chloride content. Fumigation increases the phosphorus concentration in wheat and does not affect sulphur and chloride.
Though the bromide concentration in the fumigated soils is high, the levels in the plants growing in it do not cause scorched areas. This may be due to antagonic Br/Cl and Br/NO3 effects.
Key wordsAnion antagonism Bromide Fumigation Mediterranean—climate Soil leaching Wheat
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Brown G and Jenkinson D S 1971 Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 2, 45–54.Google Scholar
- 2.Brown A Let al. Calif. Agric. 33, 11–13.Google Scholar
- 3.Elzam D E and Epstein E 1965 Plant Physiol. 40, 620–624.Google Scholar
- 4.Eysinga J P N L R van 1975 Institute for Soil Fertility 5–75, 1–40.Google Scholar
- 5.Hoffmann G M and Malkomes H P 1979In Soil Disinfestation. Ed D Mulder. pp 291–326. New York.Google Scholar
- 6.Lorez K and Reuter F W 1976 Cereal Chem. 53, 683–691.Google Scholar
- 7.Maw G A and Kempton R J 1973 Soils Fertil. 36, 407–886.Google Scholar
- 9.Pons Sayols R 1984 Facultat de Biologia. Universitat de Barcelona.Google Scholar
- 11.Rovira A D and Ridge E H 1979In Soil Disinfestation. Ed. D Mulder. pp 231–251, New York.Google Scholar
- 12.Sanders D 1981 Plant Physiol. 67, 1113–1118.Google Scholar
- 13.Wambeke E vanet al. 1974 Meded Rijksfac. Landbouwwet. Gent 39, 1311–1324.Google Scholar
- 14.Yeh K L and Tensho K 1971 Soil Sci. Plant Nutr. 17, 127–130.Google Scholar