Kinetics of the O2, Pt/YSZ interface at moderate temperature in the presence of C3H8 in the gas phase
- 49 Downloads
The catalytic activity of polycrystalline Pt deposited on Yttria Stabilized Zirconia (YSZ) for the oxidation of propane to CO2 can be affected using the effect of Non-faradaic Electrochemical Modification of Catalytic Activity (NEMCA). It was found that by applying positive overpotentials and thus, supplying O2- onto catalyst surface, up to 3.2-fold increase in the catalytic rate of C3H8 oxidation could be obtained at 365 °C. At 305 °C, no effect was evidenced. Using cyclic voltammetry and impedance spectroscopy, we have shown the modifications induced by the addition of C3H8 on the kinetics of the 02, Pt/YSZ interface in the temperature range 300–400 °C. A decrease of the coverage of adsorbed oxygen species produced electrochemically was evidenced as well as a decrease of the oxygen electrode reaction rate under anodic potential.
KeywordsCatalytic Activity C3H8 Cyclic Voltammetry Yttria Impedance Spectroscopy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- C.G. Vayenas, M.M. Jaksic, S. Bebelis, S.G. Neophytides, in: Modern Aspects of Electrochemistry (J.O.M. Bockris, B.E. Conway and R.E. White, Eds.) Plenum Press, New York, 1996, Vol. 29, p. 57.Google Scholar
- I.S. Metcalfe, J. Catal.199, 247 (2001).Google Scholar
- R. Imbihl, J. Janek, Solid State Ionics136–137, 699 (2000).Google Scholar
- A.D. Frantzis, S. Bebelis, C.G. Vayenas, Solid State Ionics136–137, 863 (2000).Google Scholar
- F. Gaillard, M. Primet, P. Vernoux, L. Bultel, C. Roux, E. Siebert, J. Catal., to be published.Google Scholar
- C.G. Vayenas, I.V. Yentekakis in: Handbook of Catalysis (G. Erth, H. Knotzinger and J. Weitcamp, Eds.) VCH Publishers, Weinheim, 1997, p. 1310.Google Scholar
- T. Chao, K.J. Walsh, P.S. Fedkiw, Solid State Ionics47, 67 (1991).Google Scholar
- T. Kenjo, Y. Yamakoshi and K. Wada, J. Electrochem. Soc.140, 2151 (1993).Google Scholar
- C. Wagner, Adv. Catal.21, 323 (1970).Google Scholar
- F. van Heuveln, H. Bouwmeester, J. Electrochem. Soc.144, 134 (1997).Google Scholar