Consideration of wave back pressures in the design of slab linings on slopes
The stability and strength analysis of the slabs should be carried out on the basis of the instataneous resultant wave pressure diagrams, which take into account the variation of the wave action along the slope and with time. The diagrams presented in Figs. 1. 2, and 3 were obtained from large-scale tests with wave heights reaching 2.2 m, which led to minimum scale effects in the models. These diagrams may be used for approximate slab analyses carried out during the preliminary design stages on the basis of a simplified scheme, without taking into consideration the irregularity of the wave action.
The slab thickness should be reduced as the depth under the water level increases simultaneously with the decrease of the pressure on the lower surface of the slab (Fig. 3) and in accordance with the law represented in Fig. 4.
KeywordsWave Height Renewable Energy Source Hydraulic Engineer Wave Action Scale Effect
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. A. Shankin, Wave Action of Hydraulic Structures [in Russian], Izd-vo Rechnoi Transport, Moscow (1955).Google Scholar
- 2.M. I. Lupinskii, “Protection of slopes of earth dams by means of slabs,” Gidrotekhnika i Melioratsiya. No. 10 (1953).Google Scholar
- 3.E. V. Kurlovich, “Characteristics of the design of concrete linings on slopes of earch structures subjected to waveaction,” Author's Abstract of Candidate's Thesis [in Russian], MISI Imeni V. V. Kuibysheva (1954).Google Scholar
- 4.P. A. Shankin, Analysis of Linings of Slopes of Hydraulic Structures [in Russian], Izd-vo Rechnoi Transport, Moscow (1961).Google Scholar
- 5.B. A. Pyshkin, Dynamics of Reservoir Banks [in Russian], Izd-vo Akad. Nauk UkrSSR, Kiev (1963).Google Scholar
- 6.S. V. Sokolovskii, “Determination of the thickness of concrete linings of earth dams,” Proceedings of Conference on “Engineering Methods of Protecting Earth Hydraulic Structures against Destructive Wave Action” [in Russian], Izd-vo Akademii Stroit. i Arkhit. UkrSSR, Kiev (1962).Google Scholar
- 7.I. Ya. Andreichuk, “Effect of the length of a slab in the direction of inclination of the slope, upon the slab thickness, in the case of frontal approach of the waves,” Izvestiya VNIIG,81 (1966).Google Scholar
- 8.Instructions for Design of Hydraulic Structures Subjected to Wave Action. SN 288-64 [in Russian], Izd-vo Literatury po Stroitel'stvu. Moscow (1965).Google Scholar
- 9.Technical Specifications for the Determination of Wave Action on Sea and River Structures and Banks. SN 92-60 [in Russian], Gos. Izd-vo Literatury po Stroitel'stvu i Arkhitekture, Moscow (1960).Google Scholar