On the use of multichannel data acquisition of impedance spectra
- 64 Downloads
Impedance spectroscopy is a powerful technique for electrical and electrochemical characterisation of ionic conductors and other electroceramics. Thus, one might tempted to use multichannel data acquisition to allow the utilisation of expensive LCR meters for simultaneous measurements. This work shows results for YSZ and strontium titanate ceramics, obtained with a multi-channel data acquisition system, to demonstrate the limitations of this approach and the applicability of some corrections. Impedance spectra are affected under multi-channel conditions, mainly in the high frequency contributions, and this is approximately described by a stray capacitance. The bulk contribution of the spectra is most affected. Contributions of internal interfaces (e.g. grain boundaries) are relatively well characterised, mainly after the proposed corrections. The characterisation of electrode processes is not affected.
KeywordsStrontium Ionic Conductor Impedance Spectroscopy Data Acquisition System Impedance Spectrum
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J.E. Bauerle, J. Phys. Chem. Sol.30, 2657 (1969).Google Scholar
- M. Vollman, R. Hagenbeck, R. Waser, J. Amer. Ceram. Soc.80, 2301 (1997).Google Scholar
- I. Denk, J. Claus, J. Maier, J. Electrochem. Soc.144, 3526 (1997).Google Scholar
- F.D. Morrison, D.C. Sinclair, A.R. West, J. Amer. Ceram. Soc.84, 531 (2001).Google Scholar
- H.S. Isaacs, L.J. Olmer, J. Electrochem. Soc.129, 436 (1982).Google Scholar
- S. Primdhal, M. Mogensen, J. Electrochem. Soc.144, 3409 (1997).Google Scholar
- A. Ringuedé, D. Bronine, J.R. Frade, Solid State Ionics146, 219 (2002).Google Scholar
- J.C.C. Abrantes, J.A. Labrincha, J.R. Frade, Mat. Res. Bull.35, 955 (2000).Google Scholar
- J.C.C. Abrantes, J.A. Labrincha, J.R. Frade, Mat. Res. Bull.35, 965 (2000).Google Scholar
- A.J. Feighery, J.C.C. Abrantes, J.A. Labrincha, J.M.F. Ferreira, J.R. Frade, Sensors and Actuators B75, 88 (2001).Google Scholar
- Hewlett-Packard, Application Note 346-3.Google Scholar