Discussions on applied soil mechanics
- 32 Downloads
The investigations of earth pressure on curved walls performed by V. I. Titova on the basis of the Coulomb theory disregarded the stress components acting perpendicuarly to the meridional planes, i.e., the three-dimensional problem was not solved. As a consequence of this, we find from the results of her work that the earth pressure should be 35–40% less than follows from the relations obtained for Coulomb’s plane problem. The analysis made in this article does not agree with these conclusions. The relations obtained for determining the active and passive earth pressures on curved retaining walls on the assumption of plane surfaces of sliding for elementary sections in accord with Coulomb’s theory do not differ under conditions of the axisymmetric problem (with a horizontal surface of the fill and a vertical, frictionless wall) from the relations obtained for the plane problem.
KeywordsStress Component Renewable Energy Source Plane Problem Hydraulic Engineer Plane Surface
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. G. Berezantsev, Axisymmetric Problem of the Theory of Limit Equilibrium of a Cohesionless Mass [in Russian], Gostekhteorizdat.Google Scholar
- 2.V. A. Meister, Instruction of the Calculation of Retaining Walls by V. V. Sokolovskii’s Method [in Russian], Izdanie VODGEO.Google Scholar
- 3.P. V. Dergachev, Investigation of the Behavior of Cellular Structures, Dissertation for scientific degree of Candidate of Technical Sciences [in Russian], Moscow (1959).Google Scholar
- 4.V. I. Titova, Gidrotekh. Stroitel’., No. 3 (1951).Google Scholar
- 5.I. V. Fedorov and V. I. Titova, Cellular Structures of Metal Sheet Piles [in Russian], Gosstroiizdat (1951).Google Scholar
- 6.I. V. Fedorov and V. I. Titova, Instruction on the Designing of Cellular Structure of Metal Sheet Piles [in Russian], Izdanie VODGEO (1955).Google Scholar
- 7.G. K. Klein, Structural Mechanics of Cohesionless Soil [in Russian], Fizmatgiz (1956).Google Scholar
- 8.B. N. Zhemochkin and G. K. Klein, “Concerning the comments of Doctor of Technical Sciences P. P. Laupman and Engineer N. S. Morgunov”, Gidrotekh. Stroitel’., No. 2 (1952).Google Scholar
- 9.V. V. Sokolovskii, Statics of a Cohesionless Mass [in Russian], Fizmatgiz (1960).Google Scholar
- 10.K. V. Ruppeneit, Yu. M. Liberman, V. V. Matvienko, and Yu. A. Peslyak, Calculation of the Bracing of Mine Shafts [in Russian], Izd-vo AN SSSR (1962).Google Scholar
- 11.V. F. Babkov and A. V. Gerburt-Geibovich, Principles of Soil Science and Soil Mechanics [in Russian], Izdvo Vysshaya shkola (1964).Google Scholar