Role of the microstructure on the transport properties of Y-doped zirconia and Gd-doped ceria
- 99 Downloads
Transmission electron microscopy characterizations and XPS analyses have allowed us to show the influence of the microstructure and nanochemistry on the transport properties of Y2O3-(9 mol%)-stabilized zirconia (YSZ) and Gd2O3 (10 mol%)-doped ceria (GDC). The grain boundary electrical conductivity (σgb) and oxygen diffusion coefficient (Do) of conventional YSZ ceramics increase with the grain size, while an opposite behavior was found for GDC samples. This difference was attributed to glassy precipitates present at YSZ grain boundaries. Furthermore, it was shown that kinetic demixing processes take place during cooling, at the end of sintering. This causes important changes in the cationic species distribution at interfaces and plays an important role on the transport properties of these two materials.
KeywordsTransmission Electron Microscopy Zirconia Ceria Transport Property Y2O3
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- N.K. Minh, Zirconia — Ceramic Fuel Cells, J. Am. Cer. Soc.76(3), 563 (1993).Google Scholar
- H.I. Tuller, Solid State Ionics3, 143 (2000).Google Scholar
- H. Yahiro, Y. Baba, K. Eguchi, H. Arai, High temperature fuel cell with ceria-yttria solid electrolyte, J. Electrochem. Soc.8, 2077 (1988).Google Scholar
- A.V. Virkar, Theoretical analysis of solid oxide fuel cells with two-layer composite electrolytes: Electrolyte stability, J. Electrochem. Soc.138, 1481 (1991).Google Scholar
- S.P.S. Badwal, A.E. Hughes, Modification of cell characteristics by segregated impurities, Proceedings of the second International Symposium on Solid Oxide Fuel Cells (F. Gross, P. Zegers, S.C. Singhal, O. Yamamoto, Eds.) Office for Official Publications of the European Communities, Luxembourg, 445–454 (1991).Google Scholar
- C. Petot, M. Filal, A. Rizea, K.H. Westmacott, J.Y. Laval, C. Lacour, Microstructure and ionic conductivity of freeze-dried yttria-doped zirconia, J. Eur. Cer. Soc.18, 1419 (1998).Google Scholar
- M. Aoki, Y.M. Chiang, I. Kosacki, L.J. Lee, H. Tuller, Y. Liu, Solute segregation and grain boundary impedance in high-purity stabilized zirconia, J. Am. Cer. Soc.79, 1169 (1996).Google Scholar