Electrochemical promotion of electronically isolated and dispersed Pt catalysts
Electrochemical promotion of C2H4 oxidation on electronically isolated Pt catalysts on Y2O3-stabilized-Zirconia (YSZ) where NEMCA is induced via potential application between two terminal Au electrodes also supported on the solid electrolyte (bipolar design).
Electrochemical promotion of C2H4 oxidation on a finely dispersed Pt catalyst deposited on a Au electrode which is supported on YSZ.
Induction of NEMCA during CH3OH oxidation on Pt without external voltage application by utilizing the potential difference developed between the catalyst and a catalytically inert counter electrode.
In all cases significant non faradaic behavior has been obtained. The underlying catalytic/ electro-catalytic phenomena are discussed together with some of the engineering challenges for potential practical applications.
KeywordsCatalytic Activity Voltage Application CH3OH Counter Electrode Solid Electrolyte
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- C.G. Vayenas, M.M. Jaksic, S. Bebelis and S.G. Neophytides, in: “Modern Aspects of Electrochemistry” (J.O'M. Bockris, B.E. Conway and R.E. White eds) Vol. 29, pp. 57–202 Plenum Press, NY, (1995).Google Scholar
- E. Varkaraki, J. Nicole, E. Plattner, Ch. Comninellis and C.G. Vayenas, J. Appl. Electrochemistry25, 978 (1995).Google Scholar
- “Electrochemical Modification of Catalytic Activity”, C.G. Vayenas, and I.V. Yentekakis, in “Handbook of Catalysis” (G. Ertl, H. Knotzinger, and J. Weitcamp eds.), VCH Publishers, Weinheim, pp. 1310–1338 (1997).Google Scholar
- A. Palermo, M.S. Tikhov, N.C. Filkin, R.M. Lambert, I.V. Yentekakis, and C.G. Vayenas, Ionics1, 366 (1995), Stud. Surf. Sci. Catal.101, 513 (1996).Google Scholar
- W. Zipprich, H.-D. Wiemhoefer, U. Voehrer, and W. Goepel, Ber. Bunsenges. Phys. Chem.99, 1406 (1995).Google Scholar
- M. Marwood and C.G. Vayenas, in press, J. Catal. (1998).Google Scholar
- Ch. Karavasilis, S. Bebelis and C.G. Vayenas, J. Catal.160, 205 (1996).Google Scholar
- J. Nicole and Ch. Comninellis, J. Electrochemical Soc. in press (1998).Google Scholar
- K. Asano, T. Hibino and H. Iwahara, J. Electrochemical Soc.142, 3241 (1995).Google Scholar