Electrochemical promotion of NO reduction by C3H6 and CO on Rh/YSZ catalyst — Electrodes
- 62 Downloads
The selective catalytic reduction of NO by propylene or CO in the presence of excess oxygen is a system of great technological importance. The effect of Electrochemical Promotion (or Non-faradaic Electrochemical Modification of Catalytic Activity — NEMCA) was used to promote this reaction (C3H6 or CO/NO/O2) on Rh/YSZ catalyst-electrodes.
It was found that both the catalytic activity and the selectivity of the Rh catalyst-electrode is affected dramatically upon varying its potential with respect to a Au pseudoreference electrode. Catalytic rate enhancements up to 15000% and 6000% were observed in the case of NO reduction by propylene, while the product selectivity to N2 production is affected significantly (up to 200%) upon positive potential application. Remarkable promotion of the catalytic activity was also observed in the case of NO reduction by CO, since up to 20-fold increases both in catalytic rates and in NO conversion were obtained under NEMCA conditions.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- C.G. Vayenas, M.M. Jaksic, S. Bebelis and S.G. Neophytides, in: “Modern Aspects of Electrochemistry” (J.O'M. Bockris, B.E. Conway and R.E. White, Eds.) Vol.29, pp. 57–202 Plenum Press, NY, (1995).Google Scholar
- P.D. Petrolekas, S. Balomenou and C.G. Vayenas, J. Electrochem. Soc.145(4), 1202 (1998).Google Scholar
- C.G. Vayenas, and I.V. Yentekakis, in: “Handbook of Catalysis” (G. Ertl, H. Knotzinger and J. Weitcamp, Eds.), VCH Publishers, Weinheim, pp. 1310–1338 (1997).Google Scholar
- B. Grzybowska-Swierkosz and J. Haber, in Annual Reports on the Progress of Chemistry, Vol.91, p. 395, The Royal Society of Chemistry, Cambridge (1994).Google Scholar
- L. Basini, C.A. Cavalca and G.L. Haller, J. Phys. Chem.88, 10853 (1994).Google Scholar
- P.C. Chiang, D. Eng and M. Stoukides, Interface139, 683 (1993).Google Scholar
- W. Zipprich, H.-D. Wiemhoefer, U. Voehrer, and W. Goepel, Ber. Bunsenges. Phys. Chem.99, 1406 (1995).Google Scholar
- J. Nicole, D. Tsiplakides, S. Wodiuning and Ch. Comninellis, J. Electrochem. Soc.144(12), 312 (1997).Google Scholar