Surgical treatment of secondary hyperparathyroidism
- 25 Downloads
Secondary hyperparathyroidism is one of the most serious complications for long-term hemodialysis patients. In our department, we performed parathyroidectomies on 215 patients between July 1973 and June 1990. We found that parathyroidectomies on 215 patients between July 1973 and June 1990. We found that parathyroidectomy was an effective treatment for advanced renal hyperparathyroidism and that after total parathyroidectomy with forearm autograft, renal hyperparathyroidism was controllable, even when hyperparathyroidism was progressive. However, the timing of this operation was important, because skeletal deformity and vessel calcification did not improve after parathyroidectomy. There were two problems after parathyroidectomy for secondary hyperparathyroidism. One was persistent hyperparathyroidism due to supernumerary parathyroid glands, particularly those located in the mediastinum, and the other was recurrent hyperparathyroidism. From our clinical and pathohistological investigations, we suspected that the proliferation of parathyroid cells changed with the progress of renal hyperparathyroidism and we found that it was difficult to prevent enlargement of parathyroid glands and recurrence of this problem.
Key WordsSecondary hyperparathyroidism Chronic renal failure Parathyroidectomy Persistent hyperparathyroidism Recurrent hyperparathyroidism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1).Slatopolsky, E., Lopez-Hilker S. and Delmez J.: The parathyroid-calcitriol axis in healthy and chronic renal failure. Kidney Int 38, Suppl.29,S-41–S-47,1990Google Scholar
- 2).Korkor AB.: Reducing binding of [3H] 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 in the parathyroid glands of patients with renal failure. N Eng J Med 316,1573–1577,1987Google Scholar
- 3).Llach F.: Parathyroidectomy in chronic renal failure: Indications, surgical approach and use of calcitriol. Kidney Int 38, Suppl.29 S-62–S-68,1990Google Scholar
- 4).Takagi, H., Tominaga Y., and Uchida K.: Subtotal versus total parathyroidectomy with forearm autograft for secondary hyperparathyroidism in chronic renal failure. Ann Surg 200,18–23,1983Google Scholar
- 5).Takagi, H., Tominaga Y., and Uchida K.: Polymorphism of parathyroid glands in patients with chronic renal failure and secondary hyperparathyroidism. Endocrinol Japon 30,463–468,1983Google Scholar
- 6).Falkmer UG., Hagmer T. and Auer GU.: Efficacy of combined image and flow cytometric DNA assessments in human breast cancers. A methodological study based on routine histopathologic material of 2,024 excised tumor specimens. Analyt Cell Path 2, 297–312,1990Google Scholar
- 12).Malmaeus J.: Secondary hyperparathyroidism in chronic renal failure. Scand J. Urol Nephrol 70 Suppl. 1983Google Scholar