The influence of male presence or absence on the reproductive cycle of celebes black ape females (Macaca nigra)
- 57 Downloads
The effect of male presence on female menstrual cycles was studied in a group of 13 adult female and 3 adult male Celebes black apes (Macaca nigra) living in an outdoor enclosure. When males were absent, all cycling females had longer durations of maximal perineal swelling. Overall cycle length also appeared to be longer when males were absent, but there was no statistically significant increase. The data suggest that male absence results in a longer late follicular stage, perhaps indicating a delay in ovulation. Whereas these findings do imply that male presence may influence female macaque reproductive condition, it is acknowledged that this effect is much weaker than the demonstrated influence of female macaques on male reproductive state.
KeywordsAdult Male Menstrual Cycle Adult Female Animal Ecology Cycle Length
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bernstein, I. S., 1971. Agonistic behavior during group formation and intergroup interactions in sooty mangabey (Cercocebus atys).Proceed. 3rd Intern. Congr. Primatol., Vol.3, pp. 66–70.Google Scholar
- Bhattacharyya, G. K. &R. A. Johnson, 1977.Statistical Concepts and Methods. John Wiley & Sons, New York.Google Scholar
- Gordon, T. P., I. S. Bernstein &R. M. Rose, 1978. Social and seasonal influences on testosterone secretion in the male rhesus monkey.Physiol. & Behav., 21: 623–627.Google Scholar
- ----,M. E. Wilson & I. S. Bernstein, in press. The role of social variables in mediating behavior response to increased androgen secretion.J. Comp. & Physiol. Psychol.Google Scholar
- Hadidian, J. &I. S. Bernstein, 1979. Female reproductive cycles and birth data from an Old World monkey colony.Primates, 21: 429–442.Google Scholar
- ————, 1969a. Endocrine coordination in monkeys: Male sexual responses to the female.Physiol. & Behav., 4: 261–264.Google Scholar
- ————, 1973. Acceleration and inhibition of puberty in female mice by pheromones.J. Reprod. & Fert. Suppl., 19: 411–419.Google Scholar
- ————, 1976. Acceleration of sexual maturation in female rats by male stimulation.J. Reprod. & Fert., 46: 451–453.Google Scholar
- ————, 1974. Reproductive coordination and free ranging rhesus monkeys.Physiol. & Behav., 13: 373–376.Google Scholar
- ————, 1976. Endocrine coordination in rhesus monkeys: Female responses to the male.Physiol. & Behav., 17: 979–984.Google Scholar