This paper reports the results of the electrical conductivity measurements for polycrystalline specimens of undoped and Cr-doped CoO in the ranges of p(O2) (10−5 – 105 Pa) and temperature (1223 – 1373 K). The experimental data are considered in terms of the effect of Cr on semiconducting properties of CoO. It is shown that Cr results in a decrease of the reciprocal of the p(O2) exponent of electrical conductivity, however, the obtained experimental values are substantially lower than those predicted by defect chemistry. The activation energy of the electrical conductivity remains independent of p(O2) and Cr content (at the level of about 0.5 eV) except strongly reduced CoO, at p(O2)=2.10−4 Pa, of which the activation energy is substantially higher. Thermopowervs p(O2) exhibits maximum at p(O2)=10 Pa (except of thermopower data for Cr-doped CoO at the highest temperature). The experimental data are considered in terms of the effect of both p(O2) and Cr on semiconducting properties.
KeywordsExperimental Data Physical Chemistry Analytical Chemistry Activation Energy Electrical Conductivity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- P. Kofstad, Diffusion, Non-Stoichiometry and Electrical Conductivity of Binary Metal Oxides, Wiley, New York, 1972.Google Scholar
- J. Nowotny, M. Rekas, J. Amer. Ceram. Soc.72, 1207 (1989).Google Scholar
- R. Dieckmann, Z. Physik. Chem., Neue Folge107, 189 (1977).Google Scholar
- J. Nowotny and M. Rekas, J. Electrochem. Soc.131, 94 (1984).Google Scholar
- J. Nowotny and M. Rekas, in: Diffusion in Solids and High Temperature Oxidation of Metals (J. Nowotny, Ed.) Trans Tech Publications, Zurich, 1991, p 169.Google Scholar
- G.H. Meier and R.A. Rapp, Zeitschrift f. Phys. Chem., Neue Folge74 168 (1971).Google Scholar
- R.A. Perkins and R.A. Rapp, Metall. Trans.4, 193 (1973).Google Scholar
- J. Nowotny, in: CRC Handbook of Solid State Electrochemistry, P.J. Gellings and H.J.M. Bouwmeester, Eds., Boca Raton, 1997, p. 121.Google Scholar
- M. Stoneham, Physics Today33, 34 (1980).Google Scholar
- B. Fisher and D.S. Tannhauser, J. Chem. Phys.44, 1663 (1966).Google Scholar
- E.M. Logothetis and J.K. Park, Solid State Comm.43, 543 (1982).Google Scholar
- H.C. Chen and T.O. Mason, J. Am. Ceram. Soc.64, C-130 (1981).Google Scholar
- J. Nowotny, I. Sikora, J.B. Wagner, Jr., J. Am. Ceram. Soc.65, 192 (1982).Google Scholar