Salinity and germination of annual Melilotus from the Guadalquivir delta (SW Spain)
- 93 Downloads
The germination response to NaCl treatments has been studied in Melilotus seed populations collected from saline and non-saline soils in the Guadalquivir delta.
The rank orders for salt tolerance and seed weight were the same in the threeMelilotus species living in this area:Melilotus messanensis>M. segetalis>M. indica.
Within the species, differences in germination response to salinity were found inM. indica (6 populations) andM. segetalis (8 populations). The relationship between salt tolerance during germination and salinity of maternal habitat is discussed.
Key wordsDoñana National Park germination Melilotus salinity salt marsh sweetclover
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Allen S G, Dobrenz A K, Schonhorst M H and Stoner J E 1985 Heritability of NaCl tolerance in germinating alfalfa seeds. Agron. J. 77, 99–101.Google Scholar
- Campbell R B 1948. Change of electrical conductivity with temperature and the relation of osmotic pressure to electrical conductivity and ion concentration for soil extracts. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. Proc. 13, 66–69.Google Scholar
- Dijkema K S 1987 Selection of Salt-marsh Sites for the European Network of Biogenetic Reserves. RIN-report 87/9. Research Institute for Nature Management, Texel.Google Scholar
- Dixon W J 1985 BMDP Statistical Software. University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Gee G W and Bauder J W 1986 Particle size analysis.In Methods of Soil Analysis, Part 1, Physical and Mineralogical Methods (2nd ed.) Ed. A Klute, Agronomy Monograph 9, 383–411.Google Scholar
- Gonzalez-Murua C, Sanchez-Diaz M, Aparicio-Tejo P, Muñoz-Rueda A and Reid J S G 1985 The effect of NaCl and water stress on germination and α-galactosidase activity in germinated seeds ofMedicago sativa, Trifolium repens andT. brachycalycinum. J. Plant Physiol. 119, 317–326.Google Scholar
- Maas E V and Hoffman G J 1977 Crop salt tolerance: Current assessment. J. Irrig. Drainage Div. ASCE 103, 115–134.Google Scholar
- Redmann R E 1974 Osmotic and specific ion effects on the germination of alfalfa. Can J. Bot. 52, 803–808.Google Scholar
- Richards L A 1954 Diagnosis and Improvement of Saline and Alkali Soils. Handbook USDA 60.Google Scholar
- Sano Y 1977 The pollination systems ofMelilotus speices. Oecol. Plant. 12, 383–394.Google Scholar
- Ungar I A 1978 Halophyte seed germination. Bot. Rev. 44, 233–264.Google Scholar
- Valdes B, Talavera S and Fernandez E (Eds.) 1987 Flora Vascular de Andalucía Occidental. 3 vols. Ketres, Barcelona.Google Scholar
- Weas R C (Ed.) 1973 Handbook of Chemistry and Physics (54th ed). CRC Press.Google Scholar
- West D W and Taylor J A 1985 Germination and growth of cultivars ofTrifolium subterraneum L. in the presence of sodium chloride salinity. Plant and Soil 62, 221–230.Google Scholar