Assessing the resistance to gangrene of progenies of potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) from parents differing in susceptibility
- 11 Downloads
The resistance to gangrene (caused byPhoma exigua var.foveata) of progenies from two hybridisation schedules involving cultivars resistant, susceptible, or of intermediate reaction to gangrene was assessed. Two methods of sampling tubers from field-grown single-plant plots of 18 clones representing each progeny were used: one tuber was taken from each plant, and a bulk sample of 18 tubers was selected at random from the whole progeny. Gangrene resistance was assessed after incubating tubers which had been rolled in cornmeal-sand inoculum ofP. exigua var.foveata, and was expressed as a percentage of tubers infected. Results from the two methods of sampling correlated closely, and agreed well with tests in a subsequent year on 10-tuber samples of each individual clone.
It is concluded that an 18-clone sample adequately represented each progeny, and that the mid-parent gangrene score satisfactorily predicted the resistance of the resulting progeny. There are indications that susceptibility tended to be dominant. The implication of these findings to breeding for resistance to gangrene is discussed.
Additional keywordsdisease screening progeny test heritability Phoma exigua var.foveata
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anonymous, 1986. Classified list of potato varieties, England and Wales 1987. Cambridge, England: National Institute of Agricultural Botany, 16 pp.Google Scholar
- Copeland, R. & R. A. Fox, 1987 Gangrene (Phoma rot) assessment methods. In: E. Førsund (Ed.), Potato disease assessment keys, p. 97–100. (European Association for Potato Research, Section for Pathology, Committee for Disease Assessment). Ås, Norway.Google Scholar
- Falconer, D. S., 1981. Introduction to quantitative genetics 2nd ed. Harlow, England: Longman, 340 pp.Google Scholar
- Jellis, G. J., 1982. Laboratory assessments of the susceptibility of potato tubers to gangrene (Phoma exigua var.foveata).Plant Pathology 31: 171–177.Google Scholar
- Mather, K. & J. L. Jinks, 1982. Biometrical genetics. 3rd ed. London, England: Chapman & Hall, 396 pp.Google Scholar
- Scheitza, R., 1983. Biologische Grundlagen zur Prüfung von Kartoffelsorten auf Resistenz gegenPhoma exigua var.foveata.Zeitschrift für Pflanzenkrankheiten und Pflanzenschutz 90: 650–661.Google Scholar
- Seppanen, E., 1982. Further studies on varietal differences in resistance to potato gangrene.Annales Agriculturae Fenniae 21: 155–161.Google Scholar
- Wellving, A., 1976. Studies on the resistance of potato to storage rots caused byPhoma exigua var.foveata andFusarium spp. Svalöv, Sweden: The Swedish Seed Association, 112 pp.Google Scholar