Influence of a concentrated force on the contact of an elastic body with a rigid base with depression
- 31 Downloads
We study the contact interaction of an elastic half plane with a rigid base containing a smooth depression on the boundary. The bodies are kept in contact by the action of a uniform external pressure and a concentrated force applied to an elastic half plane above the center of the depression. The presence of the depression in the rigid base results in the appearance of an intercontact gap between the bodies whose length depends on the load. The contact problem is reduced to a singular integral equation for the height of the gap. This equation is solved analytically. The influence of the force on the length and height of the gap is analyzed. It is shown that, for some magnitudes of the force and distances from the point of its application to the interface of the bodies, the bodies may be in contact even in the center of the depression.
KeywordsDepression Integral Equation Structural Material Contact Problem Half Plane
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. M. Martynyak, “Interaction of elastic half planes in the case of incomplete mechanical contact,”Mat. Met. Fiz.-Mekh. Polya, No. 22, 89–92 (1985).Google Scholar
- 2.R. M. Shvets' and R. M. Martynyak, “Integral equations of the contact problem of thermoelasticity for rough bodies,”Dop. Akad Nauk Ukr. RSR, Ser A., No. 11, 37–40 (1985).Google Scholar
- 3.R. M. Martynyak, “Contact interaction of two half spaces in the presence of a surface depression partially filled with an incompressible liquid,”Fiz.-Khim. Mekh. Mater. 26, No. 2, 91–94 (1990).Google Scholar
- 4.R. M. Shvets, R. M. Martynyak, and A. A. Kryshtafovych, “Discontinuous contact of an anisotropic half plane and a rigid base with disturbed surface,”Int. J. Eng. Sci. 34, No. 2, 183–200 (1996).Google Scholar
- 5.R. M. Shvets', R. M. Martynyak, and A. A. Kryshtafovych, “Incomplete mechanical contact of two elastic half planes of orthotropic materials,”Fiz.-Khim. Mekh. Mater.,26, No. 3, 65–69 (1990).Google Scholar
- 6.N. I. Muskhelishvili,Some Basic Problems of the Mathematical Theory of Elasticity [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow, (1966).Google Scholar
- 7.N. I. Muskhelishvili,Singular Integral Equations [in Russian], Fizmatgiz, Moscow (1962).Google Scholar
- 8.H. S. Kit, R. M. Martynyak, and I. M. Machyshyn, “Contact of an elastic half plane with a rigid base whose boundary contains a rectangular hill or depression,”Mashinoznavstvo, No. 1, 3–8 (1999).Google Scholar