Heterosis and combining ability analysis for resistance to early blight (Alternaria solani) in potato
In an epiphytotic year of early blight, data were recorded on its incidence in 72 progenies (18 females x 4 males) and their parents planted in a randomised complete block design at the Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana, India. Combining ability analysis showed that both additive and non-additive gene action were important, with a preponderance of the latter in the inheritance of resistance to early blight. In general, progenies were as good as or better than mid-parent values. Crosses involving both or at least one parent with good general combining ability resulted in heterotic early blight resistant progenies. Promising parents and crosses were identified.
Additional keywordsSolanum tuberosum L. general combining ability specific combining ability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bradshaw, J.E. & G.R. Mackay, 1994. Breeding strategies for clonally propagated potatoes. In: J.E. Bradshaw & G.R. Mackay (Eds), Potato Genetics. CAB International Wallingford, UK, pp. 467–497.Google Scholar
- Gopal, J., 1996. In vitro selection, genetic divergence and cross prediction in potato. Ph.D Thesis, Punjab Agricultural university, Ludhiana, Punjab, India, 205 + xviii pp.Google Scholar
- Gopal, J., 1997. Progeny selection for agronomic characters in early generations of a potato breeding programme.Theoretical and Applied Genetics 95: 307–311.Google Scholar
- Gopal, J., 1998a. Combining ability analysis for true seed crop in potato (Solanum tuberosum).Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences (in press).Google Scholar
- Gopal, J., 1998b. General combining ability and its repeatability in early generations of potato breeding programmes.Potato Research 41: 21–28.Google Scholar
- Kempthorne, O., 1957. An introduction to genetical statistics. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York.Google Scholar
- Killick, R.J. & J.K. Malcolmson, 1973. Inheritance in potatoes of field resistance to late blight (Phytophthora infestans).Physiological Plant Pathology 3: 1221–1231.Google Scholar
- Lakra, B.S., 1997. Prevalence of diseases of potato crop in Haryana.Crop Research 14: 357–360.Google Scholar
- Plaisted, R.L., L. Sanford, W.T. Federer, A.E. Kehr & L.C. Peterson, 1962. Specific and general combining ability for yield in potatoes.American Potato Journal 39: 185–197.Google Scholar