A mathematical model of oxidation of Co in a thin layer of a Pd zeolite catalyst
We construct and study a distributed mathematical model of oxidation ofCO in a planar layer of aPd zeolite catalyst. The model is a system of ordinary differential equations describing a chain of locally connected chemical oscillators. Each oscillator is an oscillatory process of the reaction occurring in the corresponding layer of zeolite. The peculiarity of this chain system is that the connection between the oscillators is parametric, since it is implemented through diffusion ofCO in the gaseous phase. We find conditions for existence and uniqueness of various types of oscillations in the system, including synchronous, quasi-periodic, and chaotic. We construct the phase diagram on the plane of two external parameters and give a bifurcation analysis, studying the scenario of transition to chaos. Two tables, 12 figures. Bibliography: 15 titles.
KeywordsDifferential Equation Mathematical Model Phase Diagram Gaseous Phase Thin Layer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. M. Slinko and N. Jaeger, “Oscillating heterogeneous catalytic systems,” in:Elsevier Studies in Surface Science and Catalysis, Vol. 86 (1994), p. 408.Google Scholar
- 5.M. R. Basset and R. Imbihl,J. Chem. Phys.,93, p. 811 (1990).Google Scholar
- 6.M. M. Slinko, N. I. Jaeger, and P. Svensson,Proceedings of the International Conference on “Unsteady State Processes in Catalysis,” Novosibirsk (1990), pp. 415–421.Google Scholar
- 7.E. S. Kurkina, N. V. Peskov, M. M. Slin'ko, and M. G. Slin'ko, “On the nature of the chaotic oscillations of the reaction rate of CO oxidation on a Pd zeolite catalyst,”Dokl. Ross. Akad. Nauk,351, No. 4.Google Scholar
- 8.C. G. Steinmetz and R. Larter, “The quasiperiodic route to chaos in a model of the peroxidase-oxidase reaction,”J. Chem. Phys.,94, No. 2, 15 January (1991).Google Scholar
- 9.V. Petrov, S. K. Scott, and K. Showalter, “Mixed-mode oscillations in chemical systems,”J. Chem. Phys.,97, No. 9, 1 November (1992).Google Scholar
- 10.T. V. Bronnikova, W. M. Schaffer and L. F. Olsen, “Quasiperiodicity in a detailed model of the peroxidase-oxidase reaction,”J. Chem. Phys.,105, No. 24, 22 December (1996).Google Scholar
- 11.T. S. Akhromeeva, S. P. Kurdyumov, G. G. Malinetskii, and A. A. Samarskii,Nonstationary Structures and Diffusion Chaos [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1992).Google Scholar
- 12.P. Berget, Y. Pomeau, and C. Vidal,Order in Chaos: On the Deterministic Approach to Turbulence [Russian translation], Mir, Moscow (1991).Google Scholar
- 13.Yu. I. Neimark and P. S. Landa,Stochastic and Chaotic Oscillations [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1987).Google Scholar
- 14.V. S. Anishchenko,Complex Oscillations in Simple Systems [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1990).Google Scholar
- 15.G. Haken,Synergetics [Russian translation], Mir, Moscow (1980).Google Scholar