Structural and chemical transformations in thermooxidative stabilization of copolymeric polyacrylonitrile fibres
- 49 Downloads
The processes that take place during thermooxidative stabilization in copolymeric polyacrylonitrile (PAN) fibres of varying composition were examined. It was shown that the primary, or relaxation, shrinkage of PAN fibres is a function of the conditions of their fabrication and can be reduced by annealing the fibres above the glass transition temperature. The chemical transformations of PAN fibres are accompanied by structural transformations, manifested as shrinkage or elongation (flow) of the fibre. Mechanisms of deformation processes are proposed. The schemes of the chemical transformations of the structure of the fibres during their thermooxidative stabilization were examined. The direction and rate of chemical transformations of the structure of the fibres are a function of the composition of the copolymers; these parameters can be assigned and regulated by altering the conditions of spinning the fibres in the spinning bath.
KeywordsPolymer Organic Chemistry Shrinkage Transition Temperature Glass Transition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.R. C. Houtz,Text. Res. J.,20, 786 (1950).Google Scholar
- 5.N. I. Popik, N. P. Mil'kova, et al.,Vysokomolek. Soedin., B20, No. 10, 789 (1978).Google Scholar
- 7.H. Kakida and K. Tashiro,Polym. J.,30, 474 (1998).Google Scholar
- 9.H. Kakida and K. Tashiro,Polym. J.,30, 463 (1998).Google Scholar
- 10.G. H. Layden,J. Appl. Polym. Sci.,15, 196 (1971).Google Scholar
- 11.O. P. Bhal and L. M. Manocha,Angew. Markrmol. Chem.,48, 145 (1975).Google Scholar
- 12.O. P. Bhal and R. B. Mathur,Fiber Sci. Technol.,12, 31 (1979).Google Scholar
- 13.P. H. Wang,J. Appl. Polym. Sci.,67, 1185 (1998).Google Scholar
- 14.D. Braun, Recent progress in the thermal and photochemical degradation of poly(vinyl chloride),” in:Degradation and Stabilization of Polymers, G. Genskens (ed.), London (1975), pp. 23–41.Google Scholar
- 15.R. Bacaloglu and M. Fisch,Polym. Degr. Stab.,47, 33, (1995).Google Scholar