Physiological effects of calonyctin on development and yield of potato
- 24 Downloads
Foliar sprays of calonyctin, a natural plant growth regulator extracted from the leaves ofCalonyction aculeatum (L.) House, at a concentration 0.05 activity units, increased the tuber yield of six potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) cultivars by 7–19% (mean 15%) during 1993 and 1994. Physiological differences between calonyctin-treated and untreated potato plants were usually detected 30–40 days after spraying them with calonyctin. The chlorophyll content of treated potato leaves increased, and the chlorophyll a:b ratio decreased. By 40 days after treatment the root oxidizability and soluble protein contents of different parts of the plants also increased. Their subsequent decline as the plants aged was inhibited by calonyctin. It is concluded that calonyctin delayed the senescence of potato plants and increased tuber growth at later stages of development.
Additional keywordssenescence protein chlorophyll Solanum tuberosum L. Calonyction aculeatum (L.) House
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arnon, D.I., 1949. Copper enzymes in isolated chloroplasts. Polyphenoloxidase inBeta vulgaris.Plant Physiology 24: 1–5.Google Scholar
- Ding, Z.-L., L.-Q. Wang & X.-L. You. 1952. A grafting test ofCalonyction aculeatum on sweetpotato (Ipomoea batatas).Acta Agriculturae 3: 17–24.Google Scholar
- Guo, Q.-Z., Z.-S. Wang, Y.-W. Fang & Z.-L. Bian, 1980. Isolation and structure determination of a physiologically active substance from leaves ofCalonyction aculeatum.Acta Amoy University 19: 83–90.Google Scholar
- Jiang, Z.-H. & R.R. Schmidt. 1994. Synthesis of the tetrasaccharide moiety of plant growth regulator calonyctin A.Liebigs Annals of Chemistry 645–651.Google Scholar
- Liu, Z.Y. & Z.Q. Liu, 1984. Genetics and breeding of photosynthesis. Gueizhou Renmin Press, Gueizhou, pp. 304–307.Google Scholar
- Shen, S.-H., 1994. Calonyctin and its physiological activities.Plant Physiological Communication 30: 449–451.Google Scholar
- Shen, S.-H., H.-M. Shen, J.-H. Wu & Y. Shao, 1994. Effect of calonyctin on the growth and development of sweetpotato plants.Journal of Zhejiang Agricultural University 20: 254–258.Google Scholar
- Shen, S.-H., H.-M. Shen & J.-H. Wu, 1996. Role of calonyctin on free sugars in relation to starch accumulation in developing sweet potatoes.Journal of Plant Growth Regulation (in press).Google Scholar
- Wang, Z.-S., 1975. The physiological activity of the leaf extract ofCalonyction aculeatum (Linn) House and its promoting effect on the production of sweetpotato storage roots.Acta Amoy University 14: 25–42.Google Scholar
- Wang, Z.-S. & H.-L. Xu, 1980. Effect of calonyctin A on the differentiation of callus tissues from rice pollens.Acta Amoy University 19: 105–109.Google Scholar