Progeny tests to identify diploid potato clones homozygous at loci controlling resistance to PLRV
Using potato parental lines homozygous at a locus or loci controlling resistance to potato leafroll virus (PLRV) can give advantages in the selection of resistant forms. In order to identify homozygous diploid clones their test-cross families were evaluated. All the clones that were test-crossed expressed resistance in primarily- and secondarily-infected plants and etiolated sprouts, and were derived from mating genotypes highly resistant to PLRV. Genotypes from test-cross families varied in resistance to PLRV, and one family was found which had only resistant genotypes, suggesting that the resistant parent of this progeny was homozygous at resistance loci. Evidence was gathered that resistance in some diploid clones may result from resistance to virus multiplication as well as restricted virus transport from leaves to tubers.
Additional keywordshomozygous genotypes Solanum tuberosum L.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barker, H., 1987. Multiple components of the resistance of potatoes to potato leafroll virus.Annals of Applied Biology 111: 641–648.Google Scholar
- Davidson, T.M.W., 1973. Assessing resistance to leafroll in potato seedlings.Potato Research 16: 99–108.Google Scholar
- Dziewońska, M.A. & M. Waś, 1994. Diploid genotype DW.84-1457, highly resistant to potato leafroll virus (PLRV).Potato Research 37: 217–224.Google Scholar
- Goszczyński, D., 1987. Potato leafroll virus (PLRV)-purification, obtaining of specific serum. (Polish with English summary).Biuletyn Instytutu Ziemniaka 36: 37–41.Google Scholar
- Oldser, J. & J.G.T. Hermsen, 1976. Genetics of self-compatibility in dihaploids ofSolanum tuberosum L., 1. Breeding behavior of two self-compatible dihaploids.Euphytica 25: 597–607.Google Scholar
- Solomon-Blackburn, R.M. & G.R. Mackay, 1993. Progeny testing for resistance to potato virus Y: comparison of susceptible potato cultivars for use in test-crosses with resistant parents.Potato Research 36: 327–333.Google Scholar
- Świezyński, K.M., M.A. Dziewońska & K. Ostrowska, 1993. Resistance to the potato leafroll virus (PLRV) in the progeny of a highly resistant potato clone.Genetica Polonica 34(2): 139–148.Google Scholar
- Syller, J., 1988. Detection of potato leafroll virus in intact sprout disks by Enzyme-linked Immunosorbent Assay.Journal of Phytopathology 121: 58–64.Google Scholar
- Valkonen, J.P., 1994. Natural genes and mechanisms for resistance to viruses in cultivated and wild potato species (Solanum spp.).Plant Breeding 112: 1–16.Google Scholar