Symptom expression and seed transmission of alfalfa mosaic virus and potato yellowing virus (SB-22) inSolanum brevidens andS. etuberosum
- 62 Downloads
Solanum brevidens showed calico mosaic symptoms in all the leaves, butS. etuberosum yellowing and yellow mosaic only in the top leaves, following graft-inoculation with alfalfa mosaic virus (AMV). The South American potato virus SB-22 infected latentlyS. brevidens following graft-inoculation, whereasS. etuberosum was not infected. AMV was not transmitted to the ovules of AMV-infectedS. brevidens andS. etuberosum. However, AMV was transmitted to the seeds ofS. etuberosum through pollen, resulting in 0.9% infected seeds.S. brevidens infected by SB-22 produced up to 20.2% of virus-infected germinable seed, and in some of the seed lots of infectedS. brevidens the germination rate was as low as 1.0%.
Additional keywordsEtuberosa virus resistance NCM-ELISA
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chavez, R., C.R. Brown & M. Iwanaga, 1988. Transfer of resistance to PLRV titre buildup fromSolanum etuberosum to a tuber-bearing Solanum gene pool.Theoretical and Applied Genetics 76: 129–135.Google Scholar
- Correll, D.S., 1962.The potato and its wild relatives. Texas Research Foundation, Texas, pp. 114–129.Google Scholar
- De Bokx, J.A. & J.P.H. van der Want, 1987.Viruses of potatoes and seed-potato production. PUDOC, Wageningen, 259 pp.Google Scholar
- Fuentes, S., 1991. Identification, caracteristicas y distribucion de un virus baciliforme aislado de papa (Solanum tuberosum L.). M. Sc. Thesis, Universidad Nacional Agraria La Molina. Lima, Peru.Google Scholar
- Fuentes, S. & U. Jayasinghe, 1987. Identification, properties and distribution of a bacilliform virus isolated from potato. The IV Latinamerican Congress andXPeruvian Congress of Plant Pathology. September 27–October 2, Lima, Peru.Google Scholar
- Gibson, R.W., E. Pehu, R.D. Woods & M.G.K. Jones, 1990. Resistance to potato virus Y and potato virus X inSolanum brevidens.Annals of Applied Biology 116: 151–156.Google Scholar
- Jaspars, E. M.J. & L. Bos, 1980. Alfalfa mosaic virus.CMI/AAB Decriptions of Plant Viruses no. 229.Google Scholar
- Jones, R.A.C., 1979. Resistance to potato leaf roll virus inSolanum brevidens.Potato Research 22: 149–152.Google Scholar
- Valkonen, J. P. T., G. Brigneti, L. F. Salazar E. Pehu & R. W. Gibson, 1992. Interactions of theSolanum spp. of the Etuberosa group and nine potato-infecting viruses and a viroid.Annals of Applied Biology 120: 301–313.Google Scholar
- Williams, C. E., G. J. Hunt & J. P. Helgeson, 1990. Fertile somatic hybrids ofSolanum species: RFLP analysis of a hybrid and its sexual progeny from crosses with potato.Theoretical and Applied Genetics 80: 545–551.Google Scholar