Improving the quality of primary science teaching through a pre-service course
- 47 Downloads
This paper describes a study involving second and third year primary Diploma of Teaching students. It considers their discipline competence, their confidence in teaching particular topic areas and their views of the nature of science teaching in the classes in which they were placed during teaching rounds. It then describes attempts made within the science curriculum course to overcome particular problems.
KeywordsScience Teaching Topic Area Teaching Student Science Curriculum Primary Science
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Boden, A., Branagan, D., Davies, J., Giutronich, J., Ross, I. & Strahan, R. (1981).An introduction to science. Marrickville, N.S.W., Science Press.Google Scholar
- Department of Education and Science (1978).Primary education in England. London, H.M.S.O.Google Scholar
- Department of Education and Science (1985).Science 5–16: A statement of policy. London, H.M.S.O.Google Scholar
- Gerlovich, J., Downs, G. & Magrane, G. (1981). How essential is science at the elementary level?Science and Children, 19, 22–24.Google Scholar
- Malcolm, C., Cole, J., Hogendoorn, B., O'Keefe, D. & Reid, I. (1987).The Science Framework P-10. Victoria, Ministry of Education.Google Scholar
- Manning, P., Esler, W. & Baird, J. (1981). How much elementary science is really being taught?Science and Children, 19, 40–41.Google Scholar
- Mechling, K., Stedman, C. & Donnellson, K. (1982). Preparing and certifying science teachers.Science and Children, 20, 9–14.Google Scholar
- Speedy, G., Annice, C., & Fensham, P. (1989).Discipline review of teacher education in mathematics and science. Volume 1. Report and recommendations. Canberra, Australian Government Printing Service.Google Scholar
- Summer, S. (1989). Some primary teachers' understanding of the concepts force and gravity. Project working paper No. 2 (Oxford, Department of Education Studies, Primary School Teachers and Science Project).Google Scholar
- Westerback, M. (1984). Studies on anxiety about teaching science in preservice elementary teachers.Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 21, 937–950.Google Scholar