A suggested method for investigating L1 constitution in periclinal potato chimeras
The most reliable way to study the nature of L1 in suspected periclinal chimeras is to investigate plants derived from L1 tissue only. Induction of adventitious buds and shoots from dedifferentiated epidermal tissue only, has proved to be easy in several ornamental plants such asSaintpaulia andStreptocarpus, but for potato until now only some incidental successes have been obtained using detached leaflets with different treatment. If this method could be developed to give adequate numbers of adventitious shoots, it is suggested that it could be used on a monochlamydeous (periclinal) chimera to prove the L1 origin of these shoots.
KeywordsAdventitious Shoot Adequate Number Ornamental Plant Suggested Method Epidermal Tissue
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Asseyeva, T., 1927. Bud mutations in the potato and their chimerical nature.J. Genet., Lond. 19: 1–26.Google Scholar
- Asseyeva, T., 1931. (Bud mutations in the potato).Trudy prikl. Bot. Genet. Selek. 27: 135–217 (English summary).Google Scholar
- Broertjes, C., Haccius, B. & Weidlich, S., 1968. Adventitious bud formation on isolated leaves and its significance for mutation breeding. Euphytica 17: 321–344.Google Scholar
- Ferwerda, F. D., 1965. Mutagenic effects of X-rays and ethylmethane-sulphonate on potato sprouts. In: The use of Induced Mutations in Plant Breeding:Rep. Meet. FAO/IAEA. Rome, Italy, June 1964: p. 687–690.Google Scholar
- Howard, H. W., 1964a. The experimental production of buds on the roots of potatoes.Nature, Lond. 203: 1303–1304.Google Scholar
- Howard, H. W., 1967. Further experiments on the use of X-rays and other methods in investigating potato chimeras.Radiat. Bot. 7: 389–399.Google Scholar
- Howard, H. W., 1970. Genetics of the potato Solanum tuberosum.Logos Press, London.Google Scholar
- Kupfer, E., 1967. Studies in plant regeneration.Mem. Torr. Bot. Club 12: 195–241.Google Scholar
- Naylor, E. & Johnson, B., 1937. A histological study of vegetative reproduction inSaintpaulia ionantha.Am. J. Bot. 24: 673–678.Google Scholar
- Sparrow, H., Sparrow, R. C. & Schairer, L. A., 1960. The use of X-rays to induce somatic mutations inSaintpaulia.Afr. Violet Mag. 13: 32–37.Google Scholar