Ischemic colitis during interferon-alpha treatment for chronic active hepatitis C
- 38 Downloads
Between 1991 and 1994, at Hoshigaoka Koseinenkin Hospital, we treated 280 patients with chronic hepatitis C with interferon (IFN), and ischemic colitis occurred in two patients (0.7%) during the treatment. Melena appeared in case 1 in the 2nd month after the initiation of IFN-alpha treatment, and in case 2 in the 6th month. In both patients, longitudinal ulcerations in the descending colon were revealed by urgent colonoscopy, and these resolved within 2 weeks after discontinuation of the IFN treatment. It appears that ischemic colitis was associated with the IFN treatment, suggesting that attention should be paid to this possible complication.
Key wordsinterferon chronic hepatitis C side effect ischemic colitis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Roonnblom LE, Alm GV, Ooberg K. Autoimmune phenomena in patients with malignant carcinoid tumors during interferon-alpha treatment. Ann Intern Med 1991;115(3):178–183.Google Scholar
- 3.Scultz M, Muller R, Von zur Muhlen A, et al. Induction of hyperthyroidism by interferon-alpha-2b. Lancet 1989;I:1452.Google Scholar
- 4.Guyer DR, Tiedeman J, Yannuzi LA, et al. Interferon-associated retinopathy. Arch Opthalmol 1993;11:350–353.Google Scholar
- 5.Kamitsukasa H, Ohtake M, Kawashima H, et al. Two cases of interstitial pneumonia induced by interferon therapy for chronic aggressive hepatitis, type C. Acta Hepatol Jpn 1993;34:478–483.Google Scholar
- 8.Pecorari P. Ulcerative colitis in hairy cell leukemia. A case report. Recent Prog Med 1991;82:269–271.Google Scholar
- 12.Muto T, Kamitani J, Sawada T, et al. Ischemic colitis with special reference to colonoscopic and histological findings. Stomach and Intestine 1981;16:267–274.Google Scholar