An analysis of 306 radicular cysts
- 45 Downloads
The authors analyzed clinically and radiographically 306 histologically proven radicular cysts.
69.9% of the radicular cysts were from the patients between the ages of 11 and 40 years. The mean age was 33.0 years. No sex preference was found.
The most frequently involved site was the maxillary anterior region with 178 (58.1%) The maxillo-mandibular ratio was about 7:
The statistical analysis did not show any significant difference between the right and left side.
282 (92.2%) occurred in the apical portion, the most predominant location. Regarding the shape of the cysts, 270 (88.2%) were oval and elliptical, and 200 (65.4%) were observed with completely hyperostotic borders.
165 (53.9%) were with root resorption and 69 (22.5%) were with migration of the involved teeth.
KeywordsAnterior Region Root Resorption Apical Portion Predominant Location Radicular Cyst
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1).Jin Kim: Histopathological study of the jaw cysts.Kor. J. Path., 15: 100–109, 1981.Google Scholar
- 2).Tae Won Park: Clinico-radiological study of cysts of the jaw.J. Kor. Acad. Maxillo. Rad., 13: 161–166, 1983.Google Scholar
- 3).Ahlström, U., Johasen, C. C., and Lantz, B.: Radicular and residual cysts of the jaws: A long term roentgenographic study following cystectomies.Odonto. Rew. 20: 111, 1979.Google Scholar
- 4).Batsakis, J. G.:Tumors of the head and neck: Clinical and pathological considerations. 2nd Ed., The Williams and Wilkins Co., 1979.Google Scholar
- 5).Bauman, L., and Rossman, S. R.: Clinical, roentgenologic, and histologic findings in teeth with apical radiolucent areas.Oral Surg., 9: 1330–1336, 1956.Google Scholar
- 7).Goaz, P. W., and White, S. C.:Oral radiology: Principles and interpretation, 1st Ed., The C. V. Mosby Co., 1982.Google Scholar
- 8).Killey, H. C., Kay, G. R., and Seward, G. R.:Benign cystic lesions of the jaws, their diagnosis and treatment, 3rd Ed., Churchill Livingstone, 1977.Google Scholar
- 13).Shafer, W. C., Hine, M. K., and Levy, B. M.:A textbook of oral pathology. 4th Ed., The W. B. Saunders Co., 1983.Google Scholar
- 14).Stafne, E. C., and Millhoon, J. A.: Periodontal cyst.J. Oral Surg., 3: 102–111, 1945.Google Scholar
- 16).Shear, M.: Clinical statistics of dental cysts.J. Dent. Ass. S. Afr., 16: 360, 1961.Google Scholar
- 17).Stafne, E. C., and Gibilisco, J. A.:Oral roentgenographic diagnosis. 4th Ed., The W. B. Saunders Co., 1975.Google Scholar
- 18).Thoma, K. H.:Oral surgery. 5th Ed., The C. V. Mosby Co., 1969.Google Scholar
- 19).Trott, J. R., and Esty, C.: An analysis of 105 dental cysts.J. Canad. Dent. Assn.,: 75–78, 1972.Google Scholar
- 20).Wood, N. K., and Goaz, P. W.:Differential diagnosis of oral lesions. 2nd Ed., The C. V. Mosby Co., 1980.Google Scholar