Adenosquamous carcinoma of the pancreas
- 28 Downloads
A 58-year-old Japanese man was admitted complaining of abdominal pain. An abdominal computed tomography examination demonstrated a tumor in the head of the pancreas and multiple calcifications. A laparotomy was performed and the tumor was removed by Whipple's operation. Histologically, the neoplasm that invaded the duodenal wall and the papilla of Vater was composed of nests of malignant squamous cells with intercellular bridges and showed the formation of keratinized pearls with a small area of concurrently neoplastic glandular and squamous elements. On the basis of these features, the diagnosis of adenosquamous carcinoma of the pancreas was made. The patient died 18 months after the operation. The neoplastic behavior of this rare primary pancreatic carcinoma is similar to that of duct cell carcinoma as well as pure squamous cell carcinoma of the pancreas. As the pancreas can be the target of metastases of squamous carcinomas from other organs it is wise to be aware of this rare entity.
Key wordsadenoacanthoma adenosquamous carcinoma mucoepidermoid carcinoma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rosaid J. Pancreas and periampullary region. In: Stamathis G (ed) Ackerman's surgical pathology. St Louis: C.V. Mosby 1989;757–788.Google Scholar
- 2.Sommers SC, Meissner WA. Unusual carcinomas of the pancreas. Arch Pathol 1954;58:101–111.Google Scholar
- 3.Kishi K, Hirota T, Nakamura K, et al. Carcinoma of the pancreas: A review of 94 autopsy cases. Jpn J Clin Oncol 1980;10: 273–280.Google Scholar
- 12.Tomiyama T, Ueno N, Fukuda M, et al. Two cases of adenosquamous carcinoma of the pancreas (in Japanese with English abstract). Suizou (Pancreas) 1994;9:234–239.Google Scholar
- 13.Ikei S, Katafuchi S, Beppu T, et al. A case of adenosquamous carcinoma of the pancreas (in Japanese with English abstract). Suizou (Pancreas) 1993;8:545–551.Google Scholar
- 14.Sato K, Suzuki R, Kurosu Y, et al. Squamous cell carcinoma of the pancreas: A case report. Nihon Univ J Med 1986;28:419–426.Google Scholar
- 15.Klöppel G, Fitzgerald PJ. Pathology of nonendocrine pancreatic tumors. In: Go VLW (ed) The exocrine pancreas: Biology, pathobiology, and diseases. New York: Raven, 1986;649–674.Google Scholar
- 18.Hartsock RJ, Fisher E. Cancer in situ in pancreatic squamous metaplasia. Arch Surg 1971;82:56–60.Google Scholar