Maxillo-mandibular radiographic evaluation of renal osteodystrophy
- 54 Downloads
For the assessment of changes in the bone architecture of the maxilla and mandible in renal osteodystrophy, 31 chronic renal failure patients who were undergoing hemodialysis therapy were selected. Thy were evaluated through clinical oral examination, radiographic and biochemical examination.
Dental radiographic evidence of bone disease was found in 17 patients (54.8%).
The most common abnormality was decreased bone density. It was found in 14 patients, 45.2%.
The second most common abnormality was total or partial loss of lamina dura. It was found in 11 patients, 35.5%.
The third most common abnormality was total or partial loss of mandibular canal wall. It was found in 8 patients, 25.8%.
12 patients showed evidence of bone disease both in hands and jawbones, 5 patients only in the jawbones, and 5 patients only in the hands.
Key wordsRenal osteodystrophy Jawbone Hyperparathyroidism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1).Isselbacher, K.J., Adams, R.O., Braunwald, E., Petersdord, R.G. and Wilson, J.D.:Harrison's principles of internal medicine, 9th Ed. pp.1283–1307, 1284–1843, 1980, McGraw-Hill Book Co., New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 2).Wood, N.K., and Goaz, P.W.:Differential diagnosis of oral lesions. 2nd Ed. pp.467–472, 1980, The C.V. Mosby Co., Saint LouisGoogle Scholar
- 3).Wilner, D.:Radiology of bone tumors and allied disorders, Vol. II. pp.1231–1326, 1982. The W.B. Saunders Co., PhiladelphiaGoogle Scholar
- 4).Spolink, K.J.:Radiographic manifestations of renal osteodystrophy in the jaw of patients with end-stage renal disease, Master's thesis. 1978, Indiana Univ., School of DentistryGoogle Scholar
- 6).Edeiken, J. and Hodes, P.J.:Roentgen diagnosis of diseases of bone (4) pp.6202, 1967, William andWilkins Co., Baltimore Google Scholar
- 8).Sato, T., Kawano, K., Suenaga, S. and Noikura, T.: Oral radiographic observation on renal osteodystrophy.Dent. Radiol. 21: 193–201, 1981 (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 12).Jenson, P.S. and Kliger, A.S.: Early radiographic manifestations of secondary hyperparathyroidism associated with chronic renal disease.Radiology 125: 645–652, 1977Google Scholar
- 14).Innocenti, M., Bonucchi, D., Zaltron, D., Fasciolo, F. and Russa, A.L.: Maxillomandibular versus hands roentgenographs in the evaluation of renal osteodystrophy.Nephrons. 46: 208–209, 1987Google Scholar
- 15).Maxwell, D.R., Spolink, K.J., Cockerill, E.M., Patterson, S.S. and Kleit, S.A.: Roentgenographic manifestations of maxillomandibular renal osteodystrophy.Nephrons 41: 223–229, 1985Google Scholar