Emergence patterns of three species of Caenis Stephens (Ephemeroptera: Caenidae)
- 48 Downloads
Information on the emergence patterns ofCaenis macrura Steph.C. horaria (L.) andC. robusta Etn. collected by means of a Rothamsted light trap is given.C. macrura andC. horaria showed two peaks of emergence but the numbers ofC. robusta emerging were fairly evenly spread over the whole emergence period. Two types of adaptive strategy for avoiding predation were identified in these emergence patterns. In the first, predation was avoided by synchronising emergence and consequently satiating predators. In the second predation was avoided by the small numbers emerging at any one time lowering the probability of encounters between predator and prey.
KeywordsEphemeroptera Caenis Emergence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Badcock, R. M. 1976. The distribution of Hydropsychidae in Great Britain. Proc. I. Int. Symp. Trich. 49–57.Google Scholar
- Eisenberg, R. M. & Hurd, L. E. 1977. An ecological study of the emergence characteristics for egg cases of the Chinese mantis (Tenodera ardifolia sinensis Saussure). Am. Midl. Nat. 97: 478–482.Google Scholar
- Kimmins, D. E. 1950. Ephemeroptera. Hbks. Ident. Brit. Ins. I: 9: 1–18.Google Scholar
- Kimmins, D. E. 1954. A revised key to the adults of the British species of Ephemeroptera. Scient. Publs. Freshwat. biol. Ass. No. 15.Google Scholar
- Kite, O. W. A. 1962. Notes on the emergence of Ephemeropteran subimagines in 1961. Salm. Trout Mag. No. 165: 123–131.Google Scholar
- Lewis, T. & Taylor, L. R., 1967. Introduction to Experimental Ecology. Academic Press, London and New York. 401 pp.Google Scholar
- Macan, T. 1957. The life histories and migrations of the Ephemeroptera in a stony stream. Trans. Soc. Brit. Ent. 12: 129–156.Google Scholar
- Macan, T. 1970. A key to the nymphs of the British species of Ephmeroptera. Scient. Publs. Freshwat. biol. Ass. No. 20 (2nd ed.).Google Scholar
- Mackey, A. P. 1973. A study of the Chironomidae in the Rivers Thames and Kennet at Reading. Ph. D. thesis. University of Reading.Google Scholar
- Southwood, T. R., 1976. Bionomic strategies and population parameters, In: May, R. M. (ed.), Theoretical Ecology: Principles and Applications 26–48. Blackwell scientific Publications. London.Google Scholar
- Williams, C. B. 1948. The Rothamsted light trap. Proc. R. ent. Soc. Lond. (A) 23:80–85.Google Scholar