Changes in the relationship between actin filaments and the plasma membrane in culturedZinnia cells during tracheary element differentiation investigated by using plasma membrane ghosts
Aggregates of actin filaments appear immediately before secondary wall thickening during tracheary element differentiation in isolatedZinnia cells. An analysis of plasma membrane ghosts revealed that the aggregates were bound to the plasma membrane. The properties of the binding of actin filaments to the plasma membrane were investigated in this system.
Key wordsActin filament Cytodifferentiation Plasma membrane ghost Tracheary element Zinnia elegans
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Akashi, T. andShibaoka, H. 1991. Involvement of transmembrane proteins in association of cortical microtubules with the plasma membrane in tobacco BY-2 cells. J. Cell Sci.98: 169–174.Google Scholar
- Fukuda, H. andKomamine, A. 1980. Establishment of an experimental system for the study of tracheary element differentiation from single cells isolated from the mesophyll ofZinnia elegans. Plant Physiol.65: 57–60.Google Scholar
- Fukuda, H. andKomamine, A. 1985. Cytodifferentiation.In I.K. Vasil, ed., Cell growth, Nutrition, Cytodifferentiation, and Cryopreservation. vol. 2, Academic Press, New York, pp. 149–212.Google Scholar
- Kakimoto, T. andShibaoka, H. 1986. Calcium-sensitivity of cortical microtubules in the green algaMougeotia. Plant Cell Physiol.27: 91–101.Google Scholar
- Kakimoto, T. andShibaoka, H. 1987b. A new method for preservation of actin filaments in higher plant cells. Plant Cell Physiol.28: 1581–1585.Google Scholar
- Katsuta, J. andShibaoka, H. 1992. Inhibition by kinase inhibitors of the development and the disappearance of the preprophase band of microtubules in tobacco BY-2 cells. J. Cell Sci.103: 397–405.Google Scholar
- Parthasarathy, M.V., Perdue, T.D., Witztum, A. andAlvernaz, J. 1985. Actin network as a normal component of the cytoskeleton in many vascular plant cells. Am. J. Bot.72: 1318–1323.Google Scholar
- Schliwa, M. 1986. The Cytoskeleton. An Introductory Survey. Springer-Verlag, Wien New York.Google Scholar
- Seagull, R.W. andHeath, I.B. 1980. The organization of cortical microtubule arrays in the radish root hair. Protoplasma103: 205–229.Google Scholar
- Sonobe, S. 1990. ATP-dependent depolymerization of cortical microtubules by an extract in tobacco BY-2 cells. Plant Cell Physiol.31: 1147–1153.Google Scholar
- Sonobe, S. andTakahashi, T. 1994. Association of microtubules with the plasma membrane of tobacco BY-2 cells in vitro. Plant Cell Physiol.35: 451–460.Google Scholar
- Wang, Y. andYan, L. 1991. The membrane proteins of leaf cell membrane ofVicia faba. Chinese Sci. Bulletin36: 862–866.Google Scholar