A radioautographic study of the inhibitory influence of repeated injections of estrone on cell division of the uterine epithelium of mice
- 12 Downloads
Spayed female mice received a daily injection of 2.3 γg of esterone. Intraperitoneal injection of 13 γCH3 thymidine was given to mice after a various number of estrone injections. The mice were killed 4 h later. The mitotic index of the uterine epithelium increased after two estrone injections, fell after six and rose again after the injections had been discontinued. The changes of mitotic activity were accompanied by similar changes in the number of labeled cells, whereas the percentage of labeled mitosis and the number of silver grains per labeled cell remained constant. These results indicate that depression of mitotic activity after prolonged estrone administration was due to inhibition of transition of the cells from the period G1 to the S-period. At the same time the rate of DNA synthesis and the capacity of the cells to pass through the G2 period to start mitosis remained unchanged.
KeywordsInternal Medicine Cell Division Thymidine Intraperitoneal Injection Female Mouse
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.O. I. Epifanova, Byull. Éksper. Biol. (1959), 12, p. 96.Google Scholar
- 2.O. I. Epifanova, Byull. Éksper. Biol. (1961), 3, p. 102.Google Scholar
- 3.O. I. Epifanova, Tsitologiya (1962), 2, p. 128.Google Scholar
- 4.O. I. Epifanova, Dokl. AN SSSR, Byull. Éksper. Biol. (1963), 2, p. 424.Google Scholar
- 5.I. A. Eskin, Modern Problems of Endocrinology [in Russian], Moscow (1960), 1, p. 169.Google Scholar
- 7.R. A. Edgren, Endocrinology (1961),68, p. 639.Google Scholar
- 8.R. A. Edgren, and D. W. Calhoun, Ibid. p. 633.Google Scholar
- 9.S. Erichsen and W. Velle, Acta endocr. (Kbh) (1960),34, p. 27.Google Scholar
- 10.D. D. Hagerman and C. A. Villee, Mechanisms of Actions of Steroid Hormones, London (1961), p. 169.Google Scholar
- 11.J. F. Scott and L. L. Engel, Ibid., Mechanisms of Actions of Steroid Hormones, London (1961) p. 20.Google Scholar