Cisplatin induced neuropathy: Central, peripheral and autonomic nerve involvement
- 135 Downloads
A prospective study was performed in patients treated with cisplatin to evaluate the occurrence and degree of central, peripheral and autonomic neuropathy and to determine the most accurate method to study this neuropathy. Twelve patients were examined before, during and after treatment. Evaluation included neurologic examination, conventional nerve conduction studies of the median and peroneal nerves and short latency somatosensory evoked potentials (SSER) after median and tibial nerve stimulation. Valsalva maneuvers before and during treatment were performed in 11 patients. Symptoms of peripheral neuropathy paralleled clinical signs. Conventional nerve conduction studies did not seem to be more accurate than clinical examination in determining peripheral neuropathy. SSER appeared to be the most sensitive method for the detection of peripheral nerve impairment. A slowing of central conduction velocity occurred after cumulative doses of 200–400 mg/m2 as measured by SSER. In two patients also some involvement of the autonomic nerves was suggested.
Key wordscisplatin central neurotoxicity peripheral neurotoxicity autonomic neurotoxicity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rozencweig M, Von Hoff DD, Slavik M, Muggia FM: Cisdiamminedichloroplatinum (II). A new anticancer drug. Ann Int Medicine 86: 803–812, 1977Google Scholar
- 2.Cisplatin (editorial): Lancet 1: 374–375, 1982Google Scholar
- 16.Ludin HP: Electromyography in Practice. Georg Thieme Verlag, Stuttgart, 1980Google Scholar
- 18.Kaplan RS, Wiernik PH: Neurotoxicity of antineoplastic drugs. Sem Oncol 9: 103–130, 1982Google Scholar
- 23.Clark AW, Parhad IM, Griffin JW, Price DL: Neurotoxicity pf cisplatinum: pathology of the central and peripheral nervous systems. Neurology 30: 429, 1980Google Scholar
- 25.Von Hoff DD, Reichert CM, Cuneo R, Reddick R, Callagher M, Rozencweig M: Demyelination of peripheral nerves associated with cis-diamminedochloroplatinum (II) (DDP) therapy. Proc Am Ass Cancer Res 20: 91, 1979Google Scholar
- 29.Gerritsen van der Hoop R, Vecht CJ, van der Burg MEL, Elderson A, Boogerd W, Heimans JJ, Vries EP, van Houwelingen JC, Jennekens FGI, Gispen WH, Neyt JP: Prevention of cisplatin neurotoxicity with an ACTH (4–9) analogue in patients with ovarian cancer. N Eng J Med 322: 89–94, 1990CrossRefGoogle Scholar