Effect of preincubation of human spermatozoa in milk on penetration of zona-free hamster oocytes: Comparison to TEST yolk
- 20 Downloads
To investigate the effect of preincubation of human sperm in milk on their ability to penetrate zona-free hamster oocytes, 27 ejaculates were studied. Each ejaculate was divided into two portions and incubated in either milk or TEST yolk (TESTY) for 22–24 hr at 5‡C prior to processing for the sperm penetration assay.
Spermatozoa preincubated in milk penetrated a significantly (P<0.05) higher percentage of oocytes (mean±SE; 74.4±6.3) than spermatozoa preincubated in TESTY (66.8±6.6). Statistically, no significant differences were noted for penetration index or postincubation sperm motility between the two media.
Preincubation of sperm in milk therefore appears to enhance their ability to penetrate zona-free hamster oocytes, compared to TESTY preincubation. Since milk is natural, simple, inexpensive, readily available, and can be easily processed, it should be the medium of choice for sperm preincubation.
Key wordshuman spermatozoa milk sperm penetration assay TEST yolk
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Bolanos JR, Overstreet JW, Katz DF: Human sperm penetration of zona-free hamster eggs after storage of the semen for 48 hours at 2‡C to 5‡C. Fertil Steril 1983;39:538–541Google Scholar
- 4.Holmgren WJ, Jeyendran RS, Neff MR, Perez-Palaez M, Zaneveld LJD: Preincubation of human spermatozoa in TEST yolk medium: Effect on penetration of zona-free hamster oocytes and correlation with other semen characteristics. Vitro Fert Embryo Transfer 1989;6:207–212Google Scholar
- 5.Thacker DL, Almquist JO: Milk and milk products as diluters for bovine semen. J Anim Sci 1951;10:1082Google Scholar
- 6.Collins WJ: Evaporated milk as a semen extender. J Dairy Sci 1953;36:578Google Scholar
- 7.Melrose DR, Stewart DL, Bruce W: Comparative fertility studies of bovine semen diluents containing powdered skim milk, fresh skim milk, glycine and egg yolk. Vet Record 1958;70:433–438Google Scholar
- 8.Michajilov NN: Sperm dilution in the milk. Czecho-slovak Vet Mag 1950;117:337Google Scholar
- 9.Almquist JO, Thacker DL: Fertility of bull semen diluted with boiled homogenized milk and boiled skim milk. J Anim Sci 1952;11:787Google Scholar
- 12.Saacke RG, Almquist JO, Flipse RJ: Different degrees of heat treatment required for detoxification of different batches of skim milk. J Dairy Sci 1956;39:90Google Scholar
- 13.Bielfield P, Jeyendran RS, Holmgren WJ, Zaneveld LJ: Effect of egg yolk medium on the acrosome reaction of human spermatozoa. J Androl 1990;11:260–269Google Scholar
- 14.Blackshaw AW, Salisbury GW: Factors influencing metabolic activity of bull spermatozoa. J Dairy Sci 1957;40:1099–1106Google Scholar
- 15.Thacker DL, Flipse RJ, Almquist JO: Diluters for bovine semen. II. Effect of milk proteins upon spermatozoa livability. J Dairy Sci 1952;37:220–227Google Scholar