Trend analysis of a thin sedimentary sequence within the Upper Carboniferous of Ayrshire, Scotland
- 27 Downloads
Trend analysis was made of selected variables from a unit representing two seatearth- to- seatearth cycles within the Upper Carboniferous coal measures of Ayrshire, Scotland. A positive correlation is shown between structural level and thickness of the unit at local, but not regional level, indicating that the broad structure was initiated in late or post-Carboniferous time, but that local structural features were active during deposition. Trend analysis of clastic proportions of the unit suggest a derivation of coarse material from the northeast in a postulated model of sand lobes and sheets extending down paleoslope across a platform" of mud deposition. Individual coal-thickness variations seemingly are complex and probably subject to a mixture of controls at local and regional scales.
KeywordsStructural Feature Regional Scale Regional Level Trend Analysis Structural Level
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Allen, P., and Krumbein, W. C., 1962, Secondary trend components in the Top Ashdown pebble bed, a case history: Jour. Geology, v. 70, no. 5, p. 507–538.Google Scholar
- Anderson, E. M., 1925, Economic geology of the Ayrshire coalfields, Area II: Geol. Survey of Great Britain Mem., 138 p.Google Scholar
- Duff, P. McL. D., and Walton, E. K., 1964, Trend surface analysis of sedimentary features of theModiolaris zone, East Pennine coalfield, England,in Deltaic and shallow marine deposits Elsevier Publ. Co., Amsterdam, p. 114–122.Google Scholar
- Eyles, V. A., and MacGregor, A. G., 1925, Summary of progress for 1924: Geol. Survey of Grea Britain Mem., p. 91–92.Google Scholar
- Gilligan, A., 1920, The petrography of the Millstone Grit of Yorkshire: Geol. Soc. London Quart. v. 75, pt. 4, p. 251–294.Google Scholar
- Goodlet, G. A., 1959, Mid-Carboniferous sedimentation in the Midland Valley of Scotland, Edin burgh Geol. Soc. Trans., v. 17, pt. 3, p. 217–240.Google Scholar
- Holroyd-Doveton, J., 1969, Mathematical studies of coal measures sedimentation in Ayrshire Scotland: Unpubl. doctoral dissertation, Edinburgh Univ., 134 p.Google Scholar
- Mykura, W., 1967, The Upper Carboniferous rocks of southwest Ayrshire: Geol. Survey of Grea Britain Bull., v. 26, p. 23–98.Google Scholar
- Read, W. A., and Dean, J. M., 1967, A quantitative study of a sequence of coal-bearing cycles in the Namurian of central Scotland, 1: Sedimentology, v. 9, no. 2, p. 137–156.Google Scholar
- Read, W. A., and Merriam, D. F., 1966, Trend-surface analysis of stratigraphic thickness data fron some Namurian rocks east of Stirling, Scotland: Scottish Jour. Geol., v. 2, pt. 1, p. 96–100.Google Scholar