Fractal interpretation of failure of polyethylene under impact loading
- 19 Downloads
The method of fractal analysis and synergetics of the deformed solid are used to find the relationships between the characteristics of the structure and properties of high-density polyethylene. A general correlation has been established for various types of fracture: impact toughness — fractal dimension of the fracture surface which is of linear nature.
KeywordsPolyethylene Fracture Surface Fractal Dimension Impact Toughness Fractal Analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. B. Bucknell, Impact-Resistant Plastic [Russian Translation], Khimiya, Leningrad (1981).Google Scholar
- 2.A. S. Balankin, Synergetics of Deformed Solids, Vol. 1 [In Russian], Publishing House of the Ministry of Defense of the USSR, Moscow (1991).Google Scholar
- 3.M. Zhenyi, S. C. Langford, J. T. Dickinson, et al., “Fractal character of crack propagation in epoxy and epoxy composites as revealed by photon emission during fracture,≓ J. Mater. Res.,6, No. 1, 183–195 (1991).Google Scholar
- 4.A. S. Balankin, A. L. Bugrimov, G. V. Kozlov, et al., “Fractal structure and physicomechanical properties of amorphous glassy polymers,≓ Dokl. Akad. Nauk. SSSR,326, No. 3, 463–466 (1992).Google Scholar
- 5.A. S. Balankin and A. L. Bugrimov, “Fractal theory of elasticity and high elasticity of polymers,≓ Vysokomol. Soed. Ser. A.,34, No. 10, 135–139 (1992).Google Scholar
- 6.G. V. Kozlov, R. A. Shetov, and A. K. Mikitaev, “A method of measuring the elasticity modulus in impact tests of polymers,≓ Vysokomol. Soed. Ser. A.,29, No. 5, 1109–1110 (1987).Google Scholar
- 8.D. S. Sanditov and G. M. Bartenev, Physical Properties of Disordered Structures [in Russian], Nauka, Novosibirsk (1982).Google Scholar
- 9.D. S. Sanditov and G. V. Kozlov, “Nature of correlation between elastic moduli and Glass Transition Temperature of Amorphous Polymers,≓ Fiz. Khim. Stekla,19, No. 4, 593–601 (1993).Google Scholar
- 10.A. B. Mosolov, “Fractal Griffith crack,≓ Zh. Tekhn. Fiz.,61, No. 7, 57–60 (1991).Google Scholar
- 11.N. I. Mashchukov, V. D. Serdyuk, G. V. Kozlov, et al., “Stabilization and modification of polyethylene by oxygen acceptors,≓ Akad. Nauk. SSSR, Inst. Khim. Fiz., Preprint (1990).Google Scholar