Fractal interpretation of failure of polyethylene under impact loading
The method of fractal analysis and synergetics of the deformed solid are used to find the relationships between the characteristics of the structure and properties of high-density polyethylene. A general correlation has been established for various types of fracture: impact toughness — fractal dimension of the fracture surface which is of linear nature.
KeywordsPolyethylene Fracture Surface Fractal Dimension Impact Toughness Fractal Analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. B. Bucknell, Impact-Resistant Plastic [Russian Translation], Khimiya, Leningrad (1981).Google Scholar
- 2.A. S. Balankin, Synergetics of Deformed Solids, Vol. 1 [In Russian], Publishing House of the Ministry of Defense of the USSR, Moscow (1991).Google Scholar
- 3.M. Zhenyi, S. C. Langford, J. T. Dickinson, et al., “Fractal character of crack propagation in epoxy and epoxy composites as revealed by photon emission during fracture,≓ J. Mater. Res.,6, No. 1, 183–195 (1991).Google Scholar
- 4.A. S. Balankin, A. L. Bugrimov, G. V. Kozlov, et al., “Fractal structure and physicomechanical properties of amorphous glassy polymers,≓ Dokl. Akad. Nauk. SSSR,326, No. 3, 463–466 (1992).Google Scholar
- 5.A. S. Balankin and A. L. Bugrimov, “Fractal theory of elasticity and high elasticity of polymers,≓ Vysokomol. Soed. Ser. A.,34, No. 10, 135–139 (1992).Google Scholar
- 6.G. V. Kozlov, R. A. Shetov, and A. K. Mikitaev, “A method of measuring the elasticity modulus in impact tests of polymers,≓ Vysokomol. Soed. Ser. A.,29, No. 5, 1109–1110 (1987).Google Scholar
- 8.D. S. Sanditov and G. M. Bartenev, Physical Properties of Disordered Structures [in Russian], Nauka, Novosibirsk (1982).Google Scholar
- 9.D. S. Sanditov and G. V. Kozlov, “Nature of correlation between elastic moduli and Glass Transition Temperature of Amorphous Polymers,≓ Fiz. Khim. Stekla,19, No. 4, 593–601 (1993).Google Scholar
- 10.A. B. Mosolov, “Fractal Griffith crack,≓ Zh. Tekhn. Fiz.,61, No. 7, 57–60 (1991).Google Scholar
- 11.N. I. Mashchukov, V. D. Serdyuk, G. V. Kozlov, et al., “Stabilization and modification of polyethylene by oxygen acceptors,≓ Akad. Nauk. SSSR, Inst. Khim. Fiz., Preprint (1990).Google Scholar