Fracture behavior of brittle circular rings subjected to concentrated impulsive loading
- 42 Downloads
The influence of impact velocity and ring geometry in the fracture patterns produced by in-plane concentrated impulsive loading on brittle circular rings has been studied both experimentally and theoretically. The experiments were performed by impacting circular rings made of plaster with a steel plate. The fracture behavior was photographed by a camera with a flash, and the crack-initiation time was measured using a memoriscope. The fracture behavior is explained using dynamic photoelasticity and the theory of flexural motion of a circular ring. With the addition of an impact-fracture criterion to this theory, the fracture patterns of brittle circular rings are predicted.
KeywordsMechanical Engineer Brittle Fluid Dynamics Steel Plate Impact Velocity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rao, S.S. and Sundararajan, V., “In-plane Flexural Vibrations of Circular Rings”,Trans. ASME,36 (Sept.,1969).Google Scholar
- 2.Suzuki, S., “Dynamic Behavior of a Circular Ring under Distributed Impulsive Loading”,Trans. Jap. Soc. Mech. Engrs., (in Japanese),44 (377), (Jan.1978).Google Scholar
- 3.Sato, Y. and Nagai, H., “Impact-fracture due to the Revolution of Circular Disks made of Cast Iron,”J. Jap. Soc. Mech. Engrs.,(in Japanese),69 (575), (Dec.1966).Google Scholar
- 4.Durelli, A.J., Clark, J.A. and Kochev, A., “Experimental Analysis of High-Frequency Stress Waves in a Ring,”J. Strain Anal., n4 (4), (1969).Google Scholar
- 6.Kida, S. and Oda, J., “On Fracture Behavior of Brittle Plate Subjected to Impact Load,” Joint JSME-SESA Conf. on Experimental Mechanics, Oahu and Maui, HI (May 1982).Google Scholar
- 7.Ujihashi, S., Matsumoto, H. and Nakahara, I., “On Deformation and Stress of a Ring Subjected to Non-axisymmetric Impulsive Loading,” Preprint 48th Spring Meeting of JSME, (in Japanese), (730–13), (Oct. 1973).Google Scholar