Chemical composition of a purified membrane fraction fromSarcina flava in relation to growth phase
- 16 Downloads
The effect of age of a culture ofSarcina flava on the chemical composition of the total membrane fraction has been investigated. Both protein and lipid contents decrease with age, but there is little variation in carbohydrate content. The apparent decreased lipid content may be a reflection of the increased binding of lipid to protein with age. The main findings from the amino acid analysis of three membrane preparations are reported. The major carbohydrates present in the membrane are, in order of decreasing concentration, mannose, glucose, ribose and rhamnose.
KeywordsGlucose Lipid Carbohydrate Growth Phase Lipid Content
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Exterkate, F. A., Vrensen, G. F. J. andVeerkamp, J. H. 1970. Biochemical changes inBifidobacterium bifidum var.pennsylvanicus after cell wall inhibition. III. Morphological structure and osmotic properties of the protoplasts and membrane composition. - Biochim. Biophys. Acta219: 141–154.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Fiske, C. H. andSubbarow, Y. 1925. The colorimetric determination of phosphorus. - J. Biol. Chem.66: 375–400.Google Scholar
- Hodge, J. E. andHofreiter, B. T. 1962. Determination of reducing sugars and carbohydrates, p. 380–394.In R. L. Whistler and M. L. Wolfrom, [eds.], Methods in carbohydrate chemistry, Vol. I. - Academic Press, London.Google Scholar
- Macfarlane, M. G. 1961. Composition of lipid from protoplast membranes and whole cells ofM. lysodeikticus. - Biochem. J.79: 4P-5P.Google Scholar
- Pridham, J. B. 1956. Determination of sugars on paper chromatograms withp-anisidine hydrochloride. - Analyt. Chem.28: 1967–1968.Google Scholar
- Salton, M. R. J. 1967. Structure and composition of bacterial membranes, p. 279–288.In H. Peeters, [ed.], Protides of biological fluids, Proc. 15th Colloqium, Bruges. - Elsevier Publ. Co., Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- Scott, T. A., Jr. andMelvin, E. H. 1953. Determination of dextran with anthrone. - Anal. Chem.25: 1656–1661.Google Scholar
- Schneider, W. C. 1957. Determination of nucleic acids in tissues by pentose analysis, p. 680–684.In S. P. Colowick and N. O. Kaplan, [eds.], Methods in enzymology, Vol. 3. - Academic Press, London.Google Scholar