Simulation of voids effect on ductile fracture of metallic alloys
Most commerical alloys have inclusions which reduce their ductility and toughness. Ductile fracture of perforated mild steel sheet was investigated in order to simulate the fracture of metallic alloys containing a second phase or inclusions. The growth of the holes during tensile straining has been studied. The results indicate that fracture of the specimens did not result from the coalescence of growing holes, but from the initiation of a shear crack at a side of the hole after the strain of the matrix close to that hole reached a critical value.
Theories of ductile fracture1–4 were examined using experimental data obtained using mild steel sheet and ductile cast iron. It was found that these theories can be used to predict the experimental results within some limitations.
KeywordsIron Experimental Data Mechanical Engineer Ductility Fluid Dynamics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.McClintock, F.A., Appl. Mech.,35,363 (1968).Google Scholar
- 2.Rice, J.R. andTracey, D.M., J. Mech. Phys. Solids,17,201 (1969).Google Scholar
- 3.Bulhm, J.I. andMorrissey, R.J., Proc. 1st Int. Conf. on Fract. Sendai,III,Japan Soc. for the Strength and Fracture of Material,Sendai,1739 (1966).Google Scholar
- 4.Berg, C.A., Proc. 4th us nat. Cong. on Appl. Mech.,2,Amer. Soc. of Mech. Eng.,New York,885 (1962).Google Scholar
- 5.McClintock, F.A., Kaplan, S.M. andBerg, C.A., Int. J. Fract. Mech.,2,614 (1966).Google Scholar
- 6.Tracey, D.M., Eng. Fract. Mech.,3,301 (1971).Google Scholar
- 7.Nagumo, M., Act. Met.,21,1661 (1973).Google Scholar
- 8.Knott, J.F., Met. Sci.,14,327 (1980).Google Scholar
- 9.Melander, A. andStahlberg, U., Int. J. Fract.,16,431 (1980).Google Scholar
- 10.McMahon, C.J. andCohen, M., Act. Met.,13,591 (1965).Google Scholar
- 11.Brown, L.M. and Embury, J.D., Proc. 3rd Int. Conf. on the Strength of Metals and Alloys, Cambridge, 164 (1973).Google Scholar
- 12.Wilsdorf, H.G.F., J. Mat. Sci. Eng.,59,1 (1983).Google Scholar
- 13.Castagna, M. and Ferrero, P., Fatigue Properties of In-Mould Ductile Iron, AFS-Trans., 573–582 (1978).Google Scholar