Use of mixed-mode stress-intensity algorithms for photoelastic data
- 54 Downloads
A generalization of irwin's method and a new algorithm, called ‘quadratic,’ are proposed for the extraction of mixed-mode stress-intensity factors (SIF) in three-dimensional cracked-body problems. These new algorithms are evaluated along with the existing ones of Smith, Sanford-Dally and Theocaris-Gdoutos, and their SIF results compared.
It is shown that all these algorithms deliver SIF values in good agreement and that they all can be applied reliably to near-tip photoelastic data.
KeywordsMechanical Engineer Fluid Dynamics Photoelastic Data
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Smith, C. W. and Olaosebikan, O., “On the Extraction of Stress Intensity Factors from Near Tip Photoelastic Data,” Proc. 1983 SESA Spring Conf. (1983).Google Scholar
- 2.Smith, C. W., “Use of Photoelasticity in Fracture Mechanics,” Mechanics of Fracture, ed. G.C. Sih,7,Chap. 2 (1981).Google Scholar
- 5.Irwin, G. R., “Discussion of ‘The Dynamic Stress Distribution Surrounding a Running Crack—A Photoelastic Analysis,’ by A. A. Wells and D. Post,”Proc. SESA,16,93–96 (1958).Google Scholar
- 6.Smith, C. W., Post, D. and Epstein, J. S., “Measurement of Stress and Displacement Fields Near Crack Tips by Optical Methods,” Proc. 1983 SESA Spring Conf. (1983).Google Scholar
- 7.Sih, G. C. andLiebowitz, H., “Mathematical Theories of Brittle Fracture,”Fracture, An Advanced Treatise,II,Academic Press,New York, Chap. 2 (1968).Google Scholar
- 8.Smith, C. W. and Hardrath, W. T., “Photoelastic Determination of Stress Intensities for Mode III,” Recent Adv. in Eng. Sci., ed. R. L. Sierakowski, Univ. of Florida Div. of Continuing Education,15,195–200 (1978).Google Scholar
- 9.Andonian, A. T., “SIF Distributions in the Part Circular Surface Flaw,” VPI Rept. (1979).Google Scholar
- 10.Sih, G. C., Paris, P. C. andErdogan, F., “Crack-Tip Stress Intensity Factors for Plane Extension and Plate Bending Problems,”J. Appl. Mech.,29,306–312 (1962).Google Scholar
- 12.Olaosebikan, O., “Evaluation of Algorithms for Extracting SIF from Photoelastic Data for 3D Problems,” PhD thesis, VPI & SU (1982).Google Scholar