Range-pair-counting fatigue gage
- 171 Downloads
In this paper, the surface roughening phenomenon of an aluminum foil during fatigue process is utilized for monitoring of a variable amplitude stress. It is found that constant mean stress does not affect surface roughness. When the mean stress varies, however, it causes surface roughening. In such a case, the equivalent stress defined by (Σσ i α N i /ΣN i )1/α dominates surface roughness of an aluminum foil, where σ i andN i are stress amplitude and the number of cycles counted by the rangepair method, respectively, and α is a gage factor which is peculiar to the foil used. It is concluded that the aluminum foil can be used as the range-pair counting fatigue gage with high accuracy.
KeywordsAluminum Fatigue Surface Roughness Mechanical Engineer Fluid Dynamics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Nagase, Y., Nakamura, T. andNakamura, Y., “Fatigue Gauge Utilizing Slip Deformation of Aluminum Foil (Slip Initiation and Surface Roughening Phenomena under Uniaxial Stressing),”JSME Int. J., Ser. 1,33,506–513 (1990).Google Scholar
- 2.Nagase, Y. andNakamura, Y., “Fatigue Gauge Utilizing Slip Deformation of Aluminum Foil (Effect of Material Factor on the Evolution of Roughness),”JSME Int. J., Ser. 1,35,247–252 (1992).Google Scholar
- 3.Nagase, Y., Sawaki, Y., Moritake, F. and Yoshida, H., “Fatigue Gauge Utilizing Surface Roughening of Aluminum Foil,” submitted to J. Eng. Mat. and Tech., ASME.Google Scholar
- 4.Sawabe, M., Ohta, S., Fukatsu, H. and Toida, Y., “Non-Contact Surface Roughness Measurement Using Optical Fibers,” Proc. Int. Symp. Metro. Qual. Cont. Product., 105–110 (1984).Google Scholar
- 5.Seika, M., Kitaoka, S. andKobayashi, T., “Basic Research on Slip-Initiation Phenomenon by Fatigue and Its Application to Stress Measurement,”Bul. JSME 22,1351–1358 (1979).Google Scholar
- 6.Broek, D., The Practical Use of Fracture Mechanics, Kluwer Academic, 175 (1989).Google Scholar
- 7.Osgood, C., Fatigue Design, Pergamon Press, 87 (1982).Google Scholar
- 8.Kikukawa, M., Jono, M. andMurata, Y., “Effect of Mean Stress on Cyclic Plastic Strain and Cumulative Damage,”J. Soc. Mat. Sci., Japan (in Japanese),29 (325),998–1004 (1981).Google Scholar
- 9.Little, R.E., Probability and Statistics for Engineers, Matrix Publishers, 207 (1978).Google Scholar