The magic of carrier fringes in moiré interferometry
- 67 Downloads
Practical applications in which carrier fringes are used with moiré interferometry for strain measurements are presented. Examples illustrate how moiré carrier fringes are applied to obtain the desired data in complex laminated composite specimens. In many cases, carrier fringes permit extraction of much more detailed information, with procedures that are easier and more accurate than those using loadinduced fringes alone. The fringe vector for carrier fringes is introduced and its application to the interpretation of fringe patterns is explained. In moiré interferometry, the carrier fringes are produced easily by adjustments of optical elements that control the virtual reference grating.
KeywordsMechanical Engineer Fluid Dynamics Strain Measurement Optical Element Fringe Pattern
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Parks, V.J., “Geometric Moiré,”Handbook of Experimental Mechanics, ed. A.S. Kobayashi, Chap. 6, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (1987).Google Scholar
- 2.Chiang, F.-P., “Moiré Method of Strain Analysis,”Manual on Experimental Stress Analysis, ed. A.S. Kobayashi, Chap. 6, Soc. for Exp. Mechanics, Bethel, CT (1978).Google Scholar
- 3.Post, D., “Moiré Interferometry,”Handbook of Experimental Mechanics, ed. A.S. Kobayashi, Chap. 7, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (1987).Google Scholar
- 4.Basehore, M.L. andPost, D., “Displacement Fields (U, W) Obtained Simultaneously by Moiré Interferometry,”Appl. Opt.,21 (14),2558–2562 (July 15,1982).Google Scholar
- 5.Czarnek, R., Post, D. and Guo, Y., “Nonuniformities in Composite Panels by Moiré Interferometry,” Proc. 1986 SEM Spring Conf. on Exp. Mech., Soc. for Exp. Mech., Bethel, CT (June 1986).Google Scholar
- 6.Post, D., “Developments in Moiré Interferometry,”Opt. Eng.,21 (3),458–467 (May1982).Google Scholar
- 7.Post, D., Dai, F., Guo, Y. andIfju, P., “Interlaminar Shear Moduli of Cross-ply Laminates: An Experimental Analysis,”J. Comp. Mat.,23 (3),264–279 (March1989).Google Scholar
- 8.Post, D., Czarnek, R. andJoh, D., “Shear Strain in a Graphite-PEEK Beam by Moiré Interferometry with Carrier Fringes,”Experimental Mechanics,27,246–249 (Sept.1987).Google Scholar