Chromatographic investigation of the hydrophobic properties of isomeric naphthalene derivatives
- 28 Downloads
Selected isomeric α and β derivatives of naphthalene were semi-quantitatively compared in respect of their hydrophobic properties. Investigations were carried out by both adsorption and partition TLC chromatography; the solubilities of the individual substances in water were also determined. The results were explained of electronic and steric effects. Permanent dipole moments in terms (literature data) are also utilized to explain the comparatively weak hydrophobic properties of the β isomers as compared to the α isomers.
Key WordsNaphthalene derivatives Thin-layer chromatography Hydrophobic properties
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- C. Tanford, J. Amer. Chem. Soc.84, 4240 (1962).Google Scholar
- J. Śliwiok andA. Macioszczyk, Microchem. J.23, 121 (1978).Google Scholar
- V. G. Dashevski andA. I. Kitaygorodski, Teor. Eksp. Khim.3, 43 (1967).Google Scholar
- E. Soczewinski, M. Waksmundzka-Hajnos andM. Bieganowska, Chem. Anal. (Pol.)22, 289 (1977).Google Scholar
- “Poradnik fizyko-chemiczny” (Calendar of physico-chemical data), Scientific and Technical Publisher (WNT), Warsau 1974 (in Polish).Google Scholar