Texture segmentation using pyramidal Gabor functions and self-organising feature maps
- 44 Downloads
This paper presents texture segmentation realised with image treatment methods and an artificial neural network model. Gabor oriented filters are used to extract frequential texture features and Self-Organising Feature Maps are used to group and interpolate these features. In order to decrease the number of filters, we use a pyramidal multiresolution method of image representation. We intend to build an architecture inspired by the early stages of the visual cortex, while making local frequential analysis of the images, which must be able to segment different textured images.
KeywordsNeural Network Artificial Neural Network Network Model Nonlinear Dynamics Visual Cortex
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- T. Kohonen.Self-organisation and associative memory, Springer Verlag, Berlin, 1984.Google Scholar
- A.C. Bovik, M. Clark, W.S. Geissler. Multichannel texture analysis using localised spatial filters,IEEE Trans. Patt. Anal. Machine Intelligence, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 55–73, 1990.Google Scholar
- R. Young. The Gaussian derivative theory of spatial vision: analysis of cortical cell receptive field line-weighting profiles,Tech. Rep. GMR-4920 (General Motor Researc), Warren, Mich., 1985.Google Scholar
- J. Malik, P. Perona. Preattentive texture discrimination with early vision mechanisms,J.Opt.Soc.Ame.A, vol.7, no.5, May 1990.Google Scholar
- F. Heitger et al. Simulation of neural contour mechanisms: from simple to end-stopped cells,Vision Research, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 963–981, 1992.Google Scholar
- E. Oja. Self-organising maps and computer vision, in:Neural networks for perception, Volume 1 — Human and machine perception, Harry Wechsler ed., Academic Press Inc., San Diego, 1992.Google Scholar
- S. Lu et al. Texture segmentation by clustering of Gabor feature vectors,IJCNN'91, vol. I, p. 683, 1991.Google Scholar
- L. Tomasini.Apprentissage d'une représentation statistique et topologique d'un environnement. Ph.D. Dissertation, Ecole Nationale de l'Aeronautique et de l'Espace, February 1993.Google Scholar
- A. Chehikian. Algorithmes optimaux pour la génération de pyramides d'images passe-bas et laplaciennes,Traitement du signal, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 297–307, 1992.Google Scholar
- P.G. Schyns. A modular neural network model of concept acquisition,Cognitive Sciences, vol. 15, pp. 461–508, 1991.Google Scholar