Oxalate ester addition from a solid reagent bed for chemiluminescence detection in HPLC
- 20 Downloads
The combination of solid-state peroxyoxalate chemiluminescence detection and post-column chemical reaction systems in liquid chromatography is investigated. Bis-2,4,6-trichlorophenyloxalate (TCPO) is added from a solid reagent bed with the fluorophore, 3-aminofluoranthene, immobilized on glass beads. Hydrogen peroxide generated photochemically by quinone analytes is measured. Flow splitting is shown to be a simple means of reagent addition with a negligible band broadening effect. This system is compared to a more flexible dualpump design. To minimize band broadening in both systems, the reagent bed is located out of the path of the chromatographic effluent. Detection limits are in the sub-picomole range, an imporvement relative to those previously reported with TCPO added in the liquid phase. These systems can be easily be adapted for detection of peroxide generated by other post-column reactions.
Key WordsColumn liquid Chromatography Chemiluminescence detection Solid reagent bed Quinone detection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. R. Poulsen, M. S. Gandelman, J. W. Birks, manuscript in preparation.Google Scholar
- P. van Zoonen, D. A. Kamminga, C. Gooijer, N. H. Velthorst, R. W. Frei, G. Gübitz, Anal. Chim. Acta,174 (1985) 151.Google Scholar
- J. Melbin, J. Liq. Chromatogr.,6 (1983) 1603.Google Scholar
- A. G. Mohan, N. J. Turro, J. Chem. Educ.,51 (1974) 528.Google Scholar
- G. Gübitz, P. van Zoonen, C. Gooijer, N. H. Velthorst, R. W. Frei, Anal. Chem.,57 (1985) 2071.Google Scholar
- J. R. Poulsen, K. S. Birks, M. S. Gandelman, J. W. Birks, submitted to Chromatographia.Google Scholar
- P. van Zoonen, D. A. Kamminga, C. Gooijer, N. H. Velthorst, R. W. Frei, Anal. Chim. Acta,167 (1985) 249.Google Scholar
- S. Kobayashi, K. Imai, Anal. Chem.,52 (1980) 424.Google Scholar
- P. van Zoonen, D. A. Kamminga, C. Gooijer, N. H. Velthorst, R. W. Frei manuscript in preparation.Google Scholar
- H. Jansen, C. J. M. Vermunt, U. A. Th. Brinkman, R. W. Frei. J. Chromatogr. in press.Google Scholar