Direct coupling of capillary supercritical fluid chromatography to high resolution mass spectrometry with minimum modification
- 25 Downloads
The coupling of a capillary supercritical fluid chromatograph with a high resolution double focusing mass spectrometer has been accomplished without any modifications to the pumping or ion source systems. The interface utilizes a direct insertion probe (DIP), which was originally designed for the direct analysis of solid samples, together with a trit restrictor as a decompression device. The DIP is placed opposite to the SFC restrictor, and it provides sufficient heat to prevent cluster formation and cooling resulting from the expansion of the supercritical fluid into the vacuum environment. Excellent mass spectra of standard polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons under chemical-ionization (CI) conditions using methane as the reagent gas, and under charge-exchange (CE) conditions using CO2 as the charge exchange medium were obtained.
Key WordsSupercritical fluid chromatography Capillary SFC High resolution mass spectrometric detection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- K. Matsumoto, S. Tsuge, Y. Hirata Anal. Sci.,2, 3 (1986).Google Scholar
- S. D. Zaugg, S. J. Deluca, G. U. Holzer, K. J. Voorhees, J. High Resoln. Chromatogr./Chromatogr. Commun.,10, 100 (1987).Google Scholar
- R. D. Smith, H. R. Udseth, Anal. Chem.,59, 13 (1987).Google Scholar
- E. D. Lee, J. D. Hennion, R. B. Cody, J. A. Kinsinger, Anal. Chem.,59, 1308 (1987).Google Scholar
- J. T. Watson, in “Introduction To Mass Spectrometry”, Raven Press, NY, 1985, p. 89.Google Scholar
- R. D. Smith, H. R. Udseth, H. T. Kalinoski, Anal. Chem.,56, 2971 (1984).Google Scholar
- J. T. Watson, in “Introduction To Mass Spectrometry”, Raven Press, NY, 1985, p. 201.Google Scholar
- M. Meot-Ner, J. Phys. Chem.,84, 2716 (1980).Google Scholar
- M. L. Lee, E. C. Huang, B. J. Jackson, K. E. Markides, presented at the 11th Internat. Symp. on Column Liquid Chromatography, Amsterdam, 1987.Google Scholar
- E. C. Huang, B. J. Jackson, K. E. Markides, M. L. Lee, in preparation.Google Scholar