Determination of low boiling aldehydes in air and exhaust gases by using annular denuders combined with HPLC techniques
- 66 Downloads
An improved procedure for the HPLC determination of C1−C3 aldehydes in environmental samples is described. These air pollutants are quantitatively collected on annular denuders coated with 2,4-Dinitrophenylhydrazine and analyzed as hydrazone derivatives by HPLC with UV absorbance and voltammetric detection. Collection efficiencies of aldehydes are reported and compared with other available methods. Practical examples of the application of the method are given.
Key WordsColumn liquid chromatography Aldehydes Annular denuder Environmental analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R. A. Cox, “Rates, reactivity and mechanism for homogeneous atmospheric oxidation reactions”. Proc. First CEC European Symposium on Physico-Chemical Behaviour of Atmospheric Pollutants, Ispra (Italy), 16–18 Oct. (1979),B. Versino & H. Ott, Eds., CEC Publ., 91–109 (1980).Google Scholar
- M. Katz, Ed., “Methods of Air Sampling and Analysis”, APHA Intersociety Committee, Washington, DC, 2nd ed., (1977).Google Scholar
- V. Crable, D. G. Taylor, “NIOSH Manual of Analytical Methods”. DHEW (NIOSH) Publ. No. 75-126, Cincinnati, Ohio (1974).Google Scholar
- K. Fung, D. Grosjean, Anal. Chem.,53, 168 (1981).Google Scholar
- D. Grosjean, K. Fung, Anal. Chem.,54, 1221 (1982).Google Scholar
- B. Schubert, U. Schmidt, D. H. Ehhalt, “Sampling and analysis of acetaldehyde in tropospheric air”. Proc. Third CEC European Symposium on Physico-Chemical Behaviour of Atmospheric Pollutants, Varese (Italy), 10–12 April (1984),B. Versino &G. Angeletti Eds., Reidel, Dordrecht (NL), 44–51 (1984).Google Scholar
- K. Kuwata, M. Uebori, H. Yamasaki, Y. Kuge, Anal. Chem.,55, 2013 (1983).Google Scholar
- P. Ciccioli, R. Darisci, A. Cecinato, A. Liberti, “Sampling of Aldehydes and Carbonyl Compounds in Air and their Detection by LC Techniques” in “Physico-Chemical Behaviour of Atmospheric Pollutants,” Proceedings of the Fourth European Symposium Stresa 23–25 Sept. 1986,G. Angeletti &G. Restelli Edrs., D. Reidel Publish. Co., Dordrecht; pp. 133–141 (1987).Google Scholar
- F. Cecchini, A. Febo, M. Possanzini, Anal. Lett.,18 (A6), 681 (1985).Google Scholar
- M. Possanzini, A. Febo, A. Liberti, Atmos. Environ.,17, 2605 (1983).Google Scholar