Tests of mullite-corundum refractories based on fused mullite in the roof of an electric steel-melting furnace
- 17 Downloads
Mullite-corundum refractories based on 63 – 90% fused mullite have been produced and tested in the roof of a 50-ton electric arc furnace. It has been established that their wear resistance is no worse than that of heat-resistant mullite-corundum bricks of grade MK-80 produced according to TU 14-80405-82. The tested refractories were worn due to their saturation with oxides from the molten products and the interaction of the latter with the structural components of the refractory. This promoted the decomposition of mullite into corundum and a glass phase with aftercompaction ands spalling of the refractory.
KeywordsOxide Furnace Wear Resistance Structural Component Corundum
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. A. Ustichenko, V. V. Primachenko, N. V. Pitak, et al., “A mixture for manufacturing a refractory material, USSR Inventor's Certificate No. 628135,”Otkr., Izobr., Prom. Obraztsy, Tov. Znaki, No. 38, 89 (1978).Google Scholar
- 2.V. A. Ustichenko, A. Ya. Oleksienko, V. P. Stepanova, et al., “Experience in using mullite-corundum refractories in roofs of electric steel-melting furnaces,”Ogneupory, No. 4, 43 – 46 (1986).Google Scholar
- 3.T. I. Nazarova, V. I. Sizov, V. A. Perepelitsyn, and V. M. Bezhaev, “Testing synthetic mullite-corundum articles in the roof of an arc furnace,”Ogneupory, No. 10, 55 – 59 (1987).Google Scholar
- 4.M. M. Belozerov, G. A. Farafonov, V. A Perepelitsyn, et al., “Service of mullite-corundum refractories in the central part of the roof of high-power electric arc furnaces,”Ogneupory, No. 1, 56 – 60 (1988).Google Scholar
- 5.D. H. Houseman, “Electric arc furnaces — roof and electrodes,”Steel Times,205(7), 618–623 (1977).Google Scholar
- 6.V. A. Ustichenko, N. V. Pitak, and V. S. Shapovalov, “Effect of technological factors on the production of ingots of mullite and mullite-corundum composition,”Ogneupory, No. 9, 21 – 28 (1990).Google Scholar
- 7.V. A. Ustichenko and N. V. Pitak, “Refractories made of fused materials of a mullite composition,”Ogneupory, No. 7, 2 – 4 (1991).Google Scholar
- 8.K. K. Strelov,Theoretical Foundations of the Technology of Refractory Materials [in Russian], Metallurgiya, Moscow (1985).Google Scholar
- 9.V. A. Ustichenko and N. V. Pitak, “Refractories based on fused mullite,”Ogneupory, No. 8, 26 – 30 (1990).Google Scholar