Primary signet-ring cell carcinoma of the colon and rectum
- 92 Downloads
Background: Primary signet-ring cell carcinoma of the colon and rectum is a rare form of adenocarcinoma of the large intestine. The purpose of this study was to help better define the natural history of this entity.
Methods: The medical records of 3,690 patients with colorectal cancer seen at The Roswell Park Cancer Institute between September 1971 and December 1993 were reviewed. We report on 29 patients with pathologic confirmation of primary signet-ring cell carcinoma. Patient demographics, clinical, and histologic parameters were evaluated. Survival was calculated by the Kaplan-Meier method.
Results: There was a nearly equal distribution of primary signet-ring cell carcinoma between the right colon and left colon/rectum. In most cases the tumors were >6 cm, ulcerated, and involved the full thickness of the bowel wall. Nodal or metastatic disease was present in 21 of 29 patients (72%) at the time of diagnosis. Four patients (14%) had synchronous colorectal adenocarcinomas. Twenty-two patients died of disease progression. At the time of death, two patients (9%) had failed in the liver, whereas all 22 patients had peritoneal carcinomatosis.
Conclusions: Patients with primary signet-ring cell colorectal carcinoma frequently present with late-stage disease. In 23 of 29 patients, the disease rapidly recurred or progressed. Peritoneal carcinomatosis is the most common pattern of failure.
Key WordsSignet Colon Rectum
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Fahl JC, Dockerty MB, Judd ES. Scirrhous carcinoma of the colon and rectum.Surg Gynecol Obstet 1960;3:759–66.Google Scholar
- 3.Laufman H, Saphir O. Primary linitis plastica type carcinoma of the colon.Arch Surg 1951;62:79–91.Google Scholar
- 7.Alamgro UA. Primary signet-ring carcinoma of the colon.Cancer 1978;41:1453–7.Google Scholar
- 13.Matthews JL, Coyle D Jr, Little WP. Primary linitis plastica of the rectum: report of a case.Dis Colon Rectum 1982;25:488–90.Google Scholar
- 14.Nader L, Mori K, Shinya H. Primary linitis plastica of the colon and rectum: report of two cases.Dis Colon Rectum 1983;26:736–40.Google Scholar
- 15.Qizilbach AH. Linitis plastica carcinoma of the intestine: report of four cases.Dis Colon Rectum 1974;17:540–9.Google Scholar
- 16.Chowdbury JR, Das K, Das KM. Primary linitis plastica of the colon: report of a case and review of the literature.Dis Colon Rectum 1975;18:332–8.Google Scholar
- 24.Morson BC, Sobin LH.International histological classification of intestinal tumors. Geneva: World Health Organization, 1976.Google Scholar
- 25.Kaplan EL, Meier P. Non-parametric estimation from incomplete observations.J Am Stat Soc 1958;53:457–81.Google Scholar
- 26.American Joint Committee on Cancer.Manual for staging of cancer, 4th ed. Philadelphia: JB Lippincott, 1992:75–82.Google Scholar