On the relation between the growth rate of water waves and wind speed
- 54 Downloads
Various wind velocitiesu*,Uλ/2,Uλ andU10 are correlated to the measured growth rate of water waves β, whereu* is the friction velocity of the wind, andUλ/2,Uλ andU10 are the wind speeds respectively at the heights λ/2, λ and 10m above sea surface (λ: wave length). It is shown that within a range of the dimensionless wind speed, 0.1<u* /C<0.6, there are no appreciable differences in the correlations, whereC is the phase velocity of water waves. The present relation between β andUλ shows qualitatively similar properties as the one obtained by Al'Zanaidi and Hui (1984); the growth rate for waves with rough surface is larger than that with smooth surface. However, our present relations give, for the both waves with different surface roughness, larger values by factors 1.7∼1.8 than those given by Al'Zanaidi and Hui's relation.
KeywordsGrowth Rate Rough Surface Wind Speed Smooth Surface Phase Velocity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Al'Zanaidi, M.A. and H.W. Hui (1984): Turbulent airflow over water waves—a numerical study. J. Fluid Mech.,148, 225–246.Google Scholar
- Charnock, H. (1955): Wind stress on a water surface. Quart. J. Roy. Met. Soc.,81, 639–640.Google Scholar
- Donelan, M.A. and W.J. Pierson (1987): Radar scattering and equilibrium ranges in wind-generated waves with application to scatterometry. J. Geophy. Res.92(C5), 4971–5029.Google Scholar
- Kusaba, T. and H. Mitsuyasu (1984): Wind-induced growth of mechanically-generated regular waves with two different frequency components. Bulletin No. 60, Research Inst. Appl. Mech., Kyushu Univ. 455–466 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Kusaba, T. and H. Mitsuyasu (1986): Nonlinear instability and evolution of steep water waves under wind action. Reports of Research Inst. Appl. Mech., Kyushu Univ., Vol. XXXIII, 33–64.Google Scholar
- Masuda, A. and T. Kusaba (1987): On the local equilibrium of winds and wind-waves in relation to surface drag. J. Oceanogr. Soc. Japan,43, 28–36.Google Scholar
- Mitsuyasu, H. (1668): On the growth of the spectrum of wind-generated waves (1)., Report of Research Inst. Appl. Mech. Kyushu Univ. Vol. XVI. 459–482.Google Scholar
- Mitsuyasu, H. and T. Honda (1982): Wind-induced growth of water waves. J. Fluid Mech.,123, 425–442.Google Scholar
- Pierson, W.J., W.B. Sylvester and M.A. Donelan (1986): Aspects of the determination of winds by means of scatterometry and of the utilization of vector wind data for meteorological forecasts. J. Geophy. Res.,91(C2), 2263–2272.Google Scholar
- Plant, W.J. (1982): A relationship between wind stress and wave slope J. Geophy. Res.,87(C3), 1961–1967.Google Scholar